CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

4T80E shifts

kev2

The4T80e uses 2 shift solenoids. They have a finite service life (do not last forever, and do fail); I have not seen any detailed reports on how long on average.

Symptoms are a DTC code and hard shifting.

The Solenoids were changed a couple of times along the way for improvements is my impression.

Document ID# 393446

1996 Cadillac Concours

ALL TRANSAXLES WITH A JULIAN DATE PRIOR TO 1996, 047 MUST BE SERVICED WITH A SERVICE KIT--1-2/2-3 SHIFT SOLENOID VALVES, WHICH IS AVAILABLE AT GMSPO. THIS KIT, P/N 24211355, CONTAINS THE 1-2, 2-3 SHIFT SOLENOID VALVES (909), THE PRESSURE CONTROL SOLENOID VALVE FILTER (917), THE PRESSURE CONTROL SOLENOID VALVE FLUID FILTER RETAINER (981) AND THE BOLT (940) TO HOLD THE RETAINER TO THE LOWER CONTROL VALVE BODY (903). ALL COMPONENTS IN THIS KIT MUST BE USED WHEN SERVICING THESE TRANSAXLES.

1996 TRANSAXLES WITH A JULIAN DATE AFTER 047, AND 1997 THROUGH 1998 TRANSAXLES, SHOULD BE SERVICED WITH INDIVIDUAL COMPONENTS.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

would no shift be a sympton?

not showing a DTC at this time, wondering if Trans codes are shown on diagnostic check...

Big question what codes are NOT available to the owner when scanning with heater/AC module?

No shift with no TSB's would seem to suggest a more general failure. When you say NO shifts do you mean the car won't shift out of park to drive? Or will go into drive but then stays in 1st?

Although you can sometimes get different coding on DTCs via a scanner than the onboard DTCs I have not seen any that don't show up on both.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Archived