CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

LF Electronic Suspension Failure

rmscaldwell

Re: 02 STS

According to my dealer's service folks, the LF suspension sensor failed. They want approximately $700.00 to fix.

1) is this a safety issue? (the dealership wouldn't answer)

2) is this a fair price?

3) any literature on this?

Thanks,

:welcomesmiley:

The Electronic Suspension Control (ESC) system consists of the following components:

electronicsuspension.gif

ESC module (3)

Four dampers contained in the 2 front struts (5 and 6) and the 2 rear shock absorbers (1 and 9)

Four positions sensors (2,4,7, and 8)

ALC air compressor module (10)

Damper relay (not shown) for RPO F45 only

ELC relay (not shown)

If the system detects that one of the sensors is not responding properly, it will set a diagnostic trouble code.

You can check your DTC's using the procedure here: http://www.caddyinfo.com/readingcodes.html

Let's assume the dealer read the codes and saw that you have a current DTC C0615, C0620, C0625 or C0630.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets

The ESC module will enter the Speed Dependent damping mode.

Both Left and Right Normal Force outputs will be set to the default output states.

The SERVICE SUSPENSION SYS message will be displayed.

Speed dependent dampening mode means that in the absence of input from the LF Suspension sensor, the system is using the current vehicle

speed to determine how soft or hard to command the struts/shocks to be.

(1) Ideal would be to have input from the sensor, but the system attempts to fail gracefully to a safe condition.

(2) You could get a quote from another Dealer for the same repair to compare. Or you can purchase a replacement

sensor from rockauto.com or gmotors.com and replace it or have it replaced by a garage. The Repair instructions

don't appear to be complex for the sensor replacement.

(3) by Literature I assume you mean bulletins, recalls, tech info? I don't see any that refer to this specific issue.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Thanks a Ton

DTC C0615 is what they got.

And I'm upset that the extended warranty I have doesn't cover this.

Very helpful.

:welcomesmiley:

The Electronic Suspension Control (ESC) system consists of the following components:

electronicsuspension.gif

ESC module (3)

Four dampers contained in the 2 front struts (5 and 6) and the 2 rear shock absorbers (1 and 9)

Four positions sensors (2,4,7, and 8)

ALC air compressor module (10)

Damper relay (not shown) for RPO F45 only

ELC relay (not shown)

If the system detects that one of the sensors is not responding properly, it will set a diagnostic trouble code.

You can check your DTC's using the procedure here: http://www.caddyinfo.com/readingcodes.html

Let's assume the dealer read the codes and saw that you have a current DTC C0615, C0620, C0625 or C0630.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets

The ESC module will enter the Speed Dependent damping mode.

Both Left and Right Normal Force outputs will be set to the default output states.

The SERVICE SUSPENSION SYS message will be displayed.

Speed dependent dampening mode means that in the absence of input from the LF Suspension sensor, the system is using the current vehicle

speed to determine how soft or hard to command the struts/shocks to be.

(1) Ideal would be to have input from the sensor, but the system attempts to fail gracefully to a safe condition.

(2) You could get a quote from another Dealer for the same repair to compare. Or you can purchase a replacement

sensor from rockauto.com or gmotors.com and replace it or have it replaced by a garage. The Repair instructions

don't appear to be complex for the sensor replacement.

(3) by Literature I assume you mean bulletins, recalls, tech info? I don't see any that refer to this specific issue.

Which extended warranty do you have on the Cadillac?

The GMPP Major Guard should include coverage of this sensor: (from gmpponline.com ):

Major Guard covers parts and labor for the following list of components: [...]High Tech Components: OnStar; compass and thermometer; heads-up display;

anti-theft alarms (factory installed); keyless entry (factory installed); ride control suspensions; traction control assembly; infrared display; heated seats; dual climate control; power sunroof.

The shock absorbers would not be covered, as they are wear items; the sensors SHOULD be covered under the GMPP.

Bruce

Mine is called Value Guard and the folks at the 800 number denied coverage.

Which extended warranty do you have on the Cadillac?

The GMPP Major Guard should include coverage of this sensor: (from gmpponline.com ):

Major Guard covers parts and labor for the following list of components: [...]High Tech Components: OnStar; compass and thermometer; heads-up display;

anti-theft alarms (factory installed); keyless entry (factory installed); ride control suspensions; traction control assembly; infrared display; heated seats; dual climate control; power sunroof.

The shock absorbers would not be covered, as they are wear items; the sensors SHOULD be covered under the GMPP.

Maybe the position sensor wire harness is damaged? Or the position sensor to chassis wire harness connector is loose or corroded? Or the connecting rod is hanging loose?

If the position sensor has failed and must be replaced, the cost of parts can't be much more than the deductable even if the warranty company covered the cost.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Ah. http://www.gmpartsdirect.com under 02 Seville, then Electrical, Ride control components, Position Sensor, Front

shows the part as MSRP $215 discount price $121 + S&H. Be careful how much the S&H is.

I would email http://www.gmotors.com and ask them to research the part number and quote the part shipped to you.

It looks like it is a simple matter to replace the sensor.

I am uncertain why the dealer suggests that this is a $700 problem; even at $215 for the sensor and 1 hour of labor

it seems $700 is x2 what the cost should be. Can you ask them to explain how much labor and what parts are

required?

Bruce

Thanks for your insight. I'm going to live with the idiot message for a while and then fight with Caddy.

Maybe the position sensor wire harness is damaged? Or the position sensor to chassis wire harness connector is loose or corroded? Or the connecting rod is hanging loose?

If the position sensor has failed and must be replaced, the cost of parts can't be much more than the deductable even if the warranty company covered the cost.

Wow. Really helpful.

Thanks so much!

Ah. http://www.gmpartsdirect.com under 02 Seville, then Electrical, Ride control components, Position Sensor, Front

shows the part as MSRP $215 discount price $121 + S&H. Be careful how much the S&H is.

I would email http://www.gmotors.com and ask them to research the part number and quote the part shipped to you.

It looks like it is a simple matter to replace the sensor.

I am uncertain why the dealer suggests that this is a $700 problem; even at $215 for the sensor and 1 hour of labor

it seems $700 is x2 what the cost should be. Can you ask them to explain how much labor and what parts are

required?

Archived