CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Alternator

woody

Hello All,

I had my battery checked today as it is getting old and at the same time they checked the output on the alternator. The gentleman told me the reading should be anywhere from 14.5 to 16.0 volts. Is this correct? Mine is reading 13.5 dose this mean my alternator is going? If so where is a good place to get one and what can I expect to install. This all sounds bad :(

Regards,

Woody

The voltage reading at the DIC can vary from 11 Volts with low battery, key on, engine off, to 14.5 Volts a few seconds after starting with a low battery. The numbers that the mechanic gave you would be with no load or on a test bench. Normal readings are in the 13.5 Volt range. There is no reason to believe that you have an alternator problem. If you did, the OBD II would probably throw an error code. Run your OBD II codes and post them here. Here's how:

http://www.caddyinfo.com/readingcodes.html

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

The voltage reading at the DIC can vary from 11 Volts with low battery, key on, engine off, to 14.5 Volts a few seconds after starting with a low battery. The numbers that the mechanic gave you would be with no load or on a test bench. Normal readings are in the 13.5 Volt range. There is no reason to believe that you have an alternator problem. If you did, the OBD II would probably throw an error code. Run your OBD II codes and post them here. Here's how:

Jims,

I just ran the codes but not sure if I should worry, here they are in no order;

B2119

B1983 Device Power 1 Circuit Low

B1982 Device Power 1 Circuit High / Source/Battery Voltage High

P3025

P0603 Control Module Long Term Memory Reset

P1645 Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Purge Solenoid Control Circuit

C1241 Magnasteer Malfunction

C1236 Low System Supply Voltage

I got the descriptions from the "How to" sheet.

Any help would be great.

Woody

Jims,

I just ran the codes but not sure if I should worry, here they are in no order;

B2119

B1983 Device Power 1 Circuit Low

B1982 Device Power 1 Circuit High / Source/Battery Voltage High

P3025

P0603 Control Module Long Term Memory Reset

P1645 Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Purge Solenoid Control Circuit

C1241 Magnasteer Malfunction

C1236 Low System Supply Voltage

I got the descriptions from the "How to" sheet.

Any help would be great.

Woody

Jims,

I forgot to mention the the reading he took was car on, with AC on

Woody

The voltage reading of 13.5 Volts is normal. The other codes all look like they could be due to a bad battery, except

B2119 Lumbar Forward/Aft Sensor Failed

P3025 [a battery high voltage OBD II code for hybrids!!!]

The B2119 code is probably caused by the lumbar being all the way against the stops one way or another. The P0603 tells us that the battery has been disconnected recently.

I would take the battery out of the car for testing. While it's out, clean the battery cables. The positive battery cable terminal is actually three cable ends sandwiched together -- make sure that you clean between them. After you are sure of your battery and battery cable connection, drive the car for a couple of days and see if any codes come back.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

The voltage reading of 13.5 Volts is normal. The other codes all look like they could be due to a bad battery, except

B2119 Lumbar Forward/Aft Sensor Failed

P3025 [a battery high voltage OBD II code for hybrids!!!]

The B2119 code is probably caused by the lumbar being all the way against the stops one way or another. The P0603 tells us that the battery has been disconnected recently.

I would take the battery out of the car for testing. While it's out, clean the battery cables. The positive battery cable terminal is actually three cable ends sandwiched together -- make sure that you clean between them. After you are sure of your battery and battery cable connection, drive the car for a couple of days and see if any codes come back.

Jim,

Thanks for the great info. I will get-r-done and see what happens. Should I have checked at a autoparts store to be sure? They did check it with the car running. The battery is only 4 years old it's rated for 7. It may just need a good cleaning of the cables as stated. I did check the water level and it looked good but due to the fender bracket I could only see 3 on one side of it.

Wooody

Archived