CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

weap hole

MrEl01

I got a check coolent level message and noticed that it was wet on the underside of the motor (driver's side) when investigating why. Everything is dry on the topside. After crawling under the car and looking up, I could see a trail from the backside of the pump housing. Is that where the weap hole is on the N* ? What else would be recommended to replace when doing the waterpump?

Duff

There is no weep hole. Either the pump shaft seal or the pump cartridge O ring is leaking. The fix is an easy job but you do need the pump tool to remove and install the cartridge.

Call Brasington Cadillac parts dept. and have your VIN handy. The pump cover and gasket have been redesigned several times over the years and you really should replace them. Thermostat too.

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=13625

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Thanks, Jim. That is what I needed to know.

Mine did the same...then cleared up on it's own..go figure... Anyway GM has a bulletin..

Loss of Engine Coolant (Replace Water Pump Cover) #03-06-02-004B - (12/17/2003)

Models: 2001-2002 Cadillac Eldorado

2001-2003 Cadillac DeVille, Seville

2001-2003 Oldsmobile Aurora

with 4.0L or 4.6L Engine (VINs C, Y, 9 - RPOs L47, LD8, L37)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to add gasket part numbers. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 03-06-02-004A (Section 06 -- Engine).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition

Some owners may comment that their vehicle seems to be losing coolant. There is no visible sign of coolant loss when the vehicle is parked.

Cause

The coolant may be leaking form the water pump cover. The leak could be small enough that the coolant evaporates before enough accumulates to form a drip.

Correction

Using coolant dye and a black light, verify that no other leak source can be found. Inspect the water pump cover with the black light for any signs of leakage. Pay special attention to the area near the hose for residual signs of coolant leakage.

If any sign of leakage is found on the water pump cover, it should be replaced using the cover and gaskets listed below.

Parts Information

Part Number

Description

Qty

Cover - Water Pump

Gasket -- Water Pump Cover

Gasket -- Thermostat

Parts are currently available from GMSPO.

Archived