CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Ignition switch replacement

boatboy

Well this past weekend I "attempted" to replace the ignition switch in my 96 Deville. I have gotten so far as to remove the airbag, steering wheel, and even the retaining ring which holds the steering wheel lock in place. The problem arises when I try to remove the column shift housing collar. I have removed all the screws that hold this in place, or at least I think I did.... I can get it to move toward me by about 3/16" but that's it. It won't budge beyond that. I know that the ignition switch and all the wires are just under that collar... but how do I get that darn thing removed.

If anyone has ever done this and can offer any hints, that would be great. I have the service manual, and have followed everything in there, but... I can't get that collar removed. Does the lock/cylinder have to be removed first? If so how??

Wait.....

What are you trying to replace?

The key cylinder? Or the actual ignition switch?

The key cylinder can be changed in about an hour.....it you have the correct tools. Umm.... steering wheel puller and a lock plate removal tool. The lock plate tool is a must have.

The actual ignition switch is way down on the column and can be changed fairly easily.

The actual ignition switch is way down on the column and can be changed fairly easily.

Logan,

Please elaborate. I am trying to change the actual ignition switch, not the lock cylinder. I thought it would be easy but there seems to be a lot of metal surrounding this switch. I can see where the wiring goes in... but cannot remove the metal collar and tube that surround it. Namely the column shift and the metal tube below that that encases the steering column.

Please advise.

1082782384622_TifToGif.gif

Disable the SIR system. Refer to Disabling the SIR System in SIR.

Caution

Before servicing any electrical component, the ignition key must be in the OFF or LOCK position and all electrical loads must be OFF, unless instructed otherwise in these procedures. If a tool or equipment could easily come in contact with a live exposed electrical terminal, also disconnect the negative battery cable. Failure to follow these precautions may cause personal injury and/or damage to the vehicle or its components.

Disconnect the negative battery cable.

Remove the knee bolster and IP steering column reinforcement plate. Refer to Knee Bolster Replacement in Instrument Panel, Gauges and Console.

Remove the 2 lower support bracket bolts (7).

Remove the lower support bracket (4) from the vehicle.

Remove the 2 upper column support bolts.

Remove the upper column support from the IP.

Lower the steering column (1). Ensure that the column rests on the driver seat.

Remove the ignition switch wiring protector.

Remove the headlamp dimmer switch retaining screw and the nut.

Remove the ignition switch retaining screw. Remove the switch.

Disconnect the ignition and turn signal switch from the IP harness.

Disconnect the following column harness connectors from the IP harness:

The ignition switch

The turn signal switch

Important

Do NOT splice the ignition switch wires.

Remove or disconnect the following components:

The ignition switch

The harness

The connector

Disconnect the turn signal and steering wheel control switches.

Insert a screwdriver blade into the ignition switch rod slot and move the switch to the run position.

Remove the park lock cable from the inhibitor.

Remove ignition switch from the vehicle.

Installation Procedure

Install the ignition switch into the vehicle.

Install the park lock cable to the switch.

Insert a screwdriver blade into the ignition switch slot and turn the switch to the lock position:

Position the ignition switch.

Insert the control rod.

Install the bolt.

Perform adjustment as needed.

Connect the following column harness connectors to the IP harness:

The ignition switch

The turn signal switch

Connect the column harness to the IP harness.

Secure the harness with the bolt.

Adjust the ignition switch. Refer to Steering Column Replacement .

Connect the turn signal switch connector to the column harness.

Install the ignition switch wiring protector.

Install the headlamp dimmer switch. Secure the headlamp dimmer switch with the bolt and the nut. Perform adjustments as needed.

Connect the electrical connector to the headlamp dimmer switch.

Install the steering column harness into the wiring protector.

Raise the steering column (1) to the support bracket.

Install the 2 bolts to the upper support bracket. Do not fully tighten the bolts at this time.

Notice

Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

Use the following procedure in order to install the bolt (7) and the nut to the lower support bracket (4):

Align the column with the instrument panel opening.

Place a shim (wedge) between the instrument panel column support bracket and the column in order to hold the column stationary while tightening the upper support bolts. Tighten

Tighten the upper and lower column support bolts and nuts to 27 N·m (20 lb ft).

Install the IP steering column reinforcement plate and knee bolster. Refer to Knee Bolster Replacement in Instrument Panel, Gauges and Console.

Connect the battery negative cable.

Enable the SIR system. Refer to Enabling the SIR System in SIR.

In the image....the image that has the circle. Just about dead center is the image of the ignition switch. It is controled by a rod that snakes down the column from the key cylinder.

Hope this helps.

Actually...I think I just pointed to the headlight dimmer switch....

Anyways....its in that area...

Thanks Logan, you were right. The ignition switch changeout was quite easy. It unfortunately didn't fix the problem that I had :( ... but changing the switch was a breeze. Guess I'll have to save those troubles for another post.

Archived