CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

12 o'clock???

Randy_W

On my '96 SLS most of the time my clock reads;12:00, but about 30% of the time it displays the correct time. It's very strange, when the correct time is displayed, you can set the clock as if it were perfectly normal. When 12:00 is displayed(unless it is twelve o'clock of course) you can push the set buttons for hours or minutes and it blinks but doesn't change. Very strange!!!!! :blink:

On my '96 SLS most of the time my clock reads;12:00, but about 30% of the time it displays the correct time. It's very strange, when the correct time is displayed, you can set the clock as if it were perfectly normal. When 12:00 is displayed(unless it is twelve o'clock of course) you can push the set buttons for hours or minutes and it blinks but doesn't change. Very strange!!!!! :blink:

This could be a battery problem in your car. When the battery goes bad and weakens, it tends to make the system "blink" for a second which is sometimes enough to make the clock reset itself to 12:00.

Check the battery and the leads to and from. Get new cables and a battery if necessary.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

The clock isn't re-setting it's self. It just shows 12:00, when it does this it can't be set, the numbers will blink but not advance. The next time I start it, it may well display the correct time and run perfectly. Like I said before, when it is not showing 12:00, it has the correct time and can be set as any normal clock, when it shows 12:00 it can't be set and does not advance. Thanks for trying though. ;)

It sounds to me like a bad connection at the radio. You see, the radio doesn't keep its own time -- it gets the time from the PZM (Body Control Module). So it sounds like to me that at sometimes, the radio is connected good and reading the time, and at others, it's not connected good, and defaulting to 12:00. This would also explain why you can't set it -- because there's no connection (during these weird times) to the PZM, so there's no way to actually "set" the clock.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I checked at the head unit last weekend when I installed the CD changer and all was well at that end, where else would I look? :blink:

I don't know -- possibly a short in the line between the radio and PZM? Maybe a bad ground somewhere? I'm not quite sure where to tell you to start troubleshooting -- just that it sounds like there's something funky with that connection.

Thanks Jadcock, by the way, where in NC are you? I was born and raised in ne NC around Elizabeth City. B)

In the Sandhills (Fayetteville/Fort Bragg/Southern Pines/Pinehurst area). We've been here since last May. We moved from the Roanoke, VA area.

Archived