CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Sway

Have a 97 deville and seem to have a sway problem mostly when on the interstate behind tracter trailers, has anyone else had this problem?

How fast is the tractor-trailer going? Are you pacing the TT?

Perhaps you are just riding in his draft and that's why you are rocking all over the place.

Try driving using the "2 second rule" and see if that helps.

The Two second and Four second rule:

Watch the vehicle in front of you pass a landmark - such as a sign, tree, or power pole - at the side of the road. As it passes the landmark, start counting "one thousand and one, one thousand and two".

If you pass the landmark before you finish saying all eight words, you are following too closely. Slow down, pick another landmark and repeat the words, to make sure you have increased your following distance.

The good thing about the '2-second rule' is it ensures you keep the correct following distance, no matter what speed you are travelling at.

When towing a trailer or the road surface is wet or slippery, increase your following distance by counting out to 4 seconds.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Marika - You went off on a tangent but I can't agree with you more. There are so many people today who follow far to closely (maybe not Cadillac John) but I'm constantly getting PO'd at people for tailgateing me. I was a cop for 20 years and can say definitively that a large percentage of accidents occur because people don't allow them selves enough time/distance to react and thus when the unexpected occurs they have to slam on thier brakes or veer left or right which can really result in a spectacular crash. Plus it is just so darn inconsiderate to tailgate someone. You hit one of my hot bottons - lol

CadillacJohn - Could your allignment be off? Bad allignment, especially bad rear allignment, can lead to swaying or yawing, but that would be something that you would notice with or without a TT near by.

Cadillac John, what pressure are you running your tires at? I have a 96 Deville and don't experience what you describe although I dont stay behind tractor trailers or trucks as they tend to kick up or drop a lot a debris that I can hear on my windows, so i tend to never follow trucks. I would check your tires though, I tend to run mine high in the range. Mike

Archived