CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

brake sensors?

sammi

My mother had her 1999 seville sls in for brake work at a tire shop. They fixed the brakes but told her she needed new brake sensors. They had to order them. They said it will be $700 for the parts. Is be being taken to the cleaners?

Absolutely! Check http://www.rockauto.com. The sensors are nothing more than a piece of wire with a plastic clip on on end and a plug on the other. I believe they are about $25 at Rockauto.

EDIT: I stand corrected

ACDELCO Part # PT374 More Info {2-WAY FEMALE BLACK M/P 150 #12102747}CONNECTOR,SEN-DISC BRK PAD WEAR $15.64 + shipping

That may be for one, not sure (you need two)

My mother had her 1999 seville sls in for brake work at a tire shop. They fixed the brakes but told her she needed new brake sensors. They had to order them. They said it will be $700 for the parts. Is be being taken to the cleaners?

Was that $700 for sensors (parts) only on top of the brake work they already did? How much were the brakes? And how much to install the sensors?

I agree with Larry. I always take my mother's car in for service fearing/knowing this type of thing could happen. Unfortunately, it goes on a lot. How do they sleep at night?!?!

Raybestos also makes the sensors for a few bucks cheaper that AC Delco. Either way, it should cost way less than $70 dollars for two sensors, let alone $700. Also, thay can be replaced extremely easily even for a novice. Just remove the wheel and you are off to the races - 20 minute job....

Tom R.

1998 Cadillac STS with 102K Miles

Mine were included in the box of aftermarket Bendix brake pads that I bought at Autozone............for FREE! Whole kit, I installed, about $60.00!

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Thanks guys for your replies. There was a little confusion at the shop. I think they were thinking about the ABS sensors which do require a bearing assembly. They still said it will be $56 a side plus labor but after some discussion they were nice enough to waive all charges. However, they can't get the "change brake pads" message to disappear. It is a 1999 seville. Can someone talk me through it or is it complicated that you have to have the dealer do?

.... However, they can't get the "change brake pads" message to disappear. It is a 1999 seville. Can someone talk me through it or is it complicated that you have to have the dealer do?

The pad wear sensor circuit is about as simple as an electrical circuit can be. If in fact there are new sensors installed, one or more of them is not connected properly or the chassis wiring is damaged.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I went through this a few months ago. Changed the front brakes with aftermarket Bendix - with no sensors included. Purchased 2 Raybestos sensors (cheaper for me where I live) and installed them. The DIC message "Change Brake Pads" disappeared immediatley once the cicuit was closed. The shop either didn't install correctly or your rear brakes are going too.

There really isn't much to it: connected one end of the sensor to the harness and the other end clips in (very easliy) to the notch in the brake pads on the front side of the brake assembly....

Good luck.

Tom R.

1998 Cadillac STS with 102K Miles

Thanks guys for all of your help. I took the car home to inspect the wires. Pulled the drivers side off, sprayed contact cleaner in the plug but message still on. Pulled the passenger side, repeated the process and-- wala no message anymore! Just a bad connection.

Archived