CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Throttle Body Idle Speed Control Actuator

MAC

The Throttle Body Idle Speed Control Actuator is causing idle problems. I think I may have to replace it even though I took it apart and cleaned the points and greased moving parts. I used the PCM to overide the actuator and sure enough when I force the plunger down the idle speed decreases. However, the plunger is not staying in as the idle speed will become erratic and increase again. I think it's time to buy a new one?

Did you adjust it correctly after reinstalling it?

I left the factory adjustment alone. I took it apart in February and all was fine until the last couple of weeks. So I tend to believe it's time to buy a new one.

I had to disconnect the Speed Control Actuator. The rpms where getting out of control and it was to the point that I was having difficulty using the PCMs 'Overide' to control it. So I decided to override the Actuator to lower rpms while idling, then immediately shut down the engine and disconnet the Actuator harness. I checked the plunger while at idle and it was confused--meaning it was moving in and out and causing rpms to surge to 2-3K. Unless there is something else causing the problem it looks like it's time to buy a new one.

I checked the plunger while at idle and it was confused--meaning it was moving in and out and causing rpms to surge to 2-3K.

Sounds like it may be time for a new one, but I am not sure how it would react if it was out of adjustment so I'd do the procedure just to be sure.

Mac - I'm pretty sure you can command the pintle to retract with the Key on but the engine not running. Then unplug the ISC.

I went through the failing ISC / wild idle thing with my car and a new ISC solved the problem.

One other possibility may be that the TPS is loose or failing - causing faulty signals to the ISC. But if I were in your shoes I'd do a visual on the TPS then replace the ISC motor.

Good luck. This stuff is no fun.......

I checked the plunger while at idle and it was confused--meaning it was moving in and out and causing rpms to surge to 2-3K.

Sounds like it may be time for a new one, but I am not sure how it would react if it was out of adjustment so I'd do the procedure just to be sure.

I did retract/manually adjust the plunger with a 10mm open-end, but the Actuator compensated by forcing the plunger out further. I also made sure the harness was clean and secure, to no avail.

Mac - I'm pretty sure you can command the pintle to retract with the Key on but the engine not running. Then unplug the ISC.

I went through the failing ISC / wild idle thing with my car and a new ISC solved the problem.

One other possibility may be that the TPS is loose or failing - causing faulty signals to the ISC. But if I were in your shoes I'd do a visual on the TPS then replace the ISC motor.

Good luck. This stuff is no fun.......

I take it that the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) is part of the ISC? I did a visual inspection to see if I could spot anything out of the norm but all looked OK. It is possible to retract the pintle without starting. I only started because I wanted to see if I could get the pintle to retract and leave it where the engine would idle at normal RPMs.

This is indeed no fun, especially when trying to come to a stop and the engine wants to go. :rolleyes:

My TPS is mounted on the side of the throttle body. I think 94 is the same. It is separate from the ISC, but it plays a big role in the signals the computer sends to the ISC. That's why I suggest that a problem with it could result in screwy signals to the ISC. But if its plugged in and seems ok, then my money is on a bad ISC.

The only way I've found to keep the ISC out of the game is to unplug it.

I had a wild ride home one day too, courtesy of the ISC. :o

Archived