CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Anyone have a Timesert BigSert kit?

I'm repairing a headstud hole on my Honda block, which has the same thread size as the Northstar blocks.

I was wondering if anyone had a used/new Bigsert kit that I could borrow. (I could send you money to hold while I use it and I'd return it promply after I fixed the 1 hole)

Please let me know, I want to get this fixed.

Is this the first time the thread bolt hole has been repaired or was some other insert used that didn't work? Also, you need to make sure the distance from the head deck surface to the top of the insert is the same. I do not think it is since the kits are manufacturer specific and none of the kit numbers are the same between the GM and Honda kits. The Bigsert insert itself is the same but the installation kit is different which means the collar on the drill is set to a specific dimension for each specific case.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Is this the first time the thread bolt hole has been repaired or was some other insert used that didn't work? Also, you need to make sure the distance from the head deck surface to the top of the insert is the same. I do not think it is since the kits are manufacturer specific and none of the kit numbers are the same between the GM and Honda kits. The Bigsert insert itself is the same but the installation kit is different which means the collar on the drill is set to a specific dimension for each specific case.

no, there was a helicoil in it before. i took the helicoil out and tried repairing it with a regular timesert but it came out so I need the Big-serts. I just looked at the installation instructions for both the Honda and Northstar kit and yes, the drill collar is different.

Is the drill in the Big-sert kit the same part number as the one in the regular Time-sert kit or is it bigger?

My Honda block has a starting thread of 57mm

NorthStar 2000 blocks and later

have two depths for the headbolts

31mm upper bank and 51mm lower bank.

Pre 2000 only have 1 depth of head bolt.

what does the upper and lower bank mean?

The upper and lower bank refers to the rows of headbolts on each head. The lower bank will be the row lowest in the valley and the upper row will be the highest row.

The drill has a collar that is set into position and sealed. You really need the kit for the Honda engine so you get the insert at the correct depth or you will not have proper thread engagement length and the insert will fracture and part of it will rip out. If that happens, your block is destroyed.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

what does the upper and lower bank mean?

There are 10 head bolts that provide the clamping force for the head gasket. Five on the intake side (upper) of the cylinder and five on the exhaust side (lower) of the cylinder.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

The upper and lower bank refers to the rows of headbolts on each head. The lower bank will be the row lowest in the valley and the upper row will be the highest row.

The drill has a collar that is set into position and sealed. You really need the kit for the Honda engine so you get the insert at the correct depth or you will not have proper thread engagement length and the insert will fracture and part of it will rip out. If that happens, your block is destroyed.

oh i see. so there's a stop collar on the drill for the 31mm holes then you take that off for the 51mm holes. but that's still too short for the 57mm Honda block.

do you know if the Core Drill bits are the same for repairing the Northstars the first time and with the big-serts? or are they different because you need a bigger hole for the big-serts

The drill bit is a different size for the Timeserts vs the Bigserts due to the difference in size of the inserts. Also, the Bigsert drill does not have a removable stop collar - it is sealed in the position for the required depth for the Northstar engine.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived