CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Aftermarket Warrentys ( whats the best?)

dinkeydow1

My 2000 STS w/17000 on it will go out of factory warranty in the middle of June. Was talking to the local Caddy dealer here and was told about a company called API that they use. So here is the deal.... 6 years from now. And 60,000 miles from my 17,000 on the car now = covered till 2010 or a total of 77,000 miles. -0- deductable, and rental car, they say that it covers everything except normal wear items, and cosmetics. Cost $ 1999.00. <_< Not bad if it is all they say it is. and if they will still be around in 2009-2010. 1st question: I think that the dealer gets a commission for the sale... true? So if thats the case I should probley buy the plan myself and save on the commission 2nd question: anyone ever heard of API ? 3rd question: What do you guys think is the best after market warranty company out there is ? Any imput would be help... Thank you

Use caution on those aftermarket warranties............Lots of folks have

been burned when most went belly up ! Check out Edmunds.com...

Many people posting they got ripped off !

Check out http://www.gmoutlet.com

Pretty good deals on a genuine General Motors extended warranty........

My 01 Truck warranty runs out the end of this month.........

Black Chev, Olds, Caddy quoted me $1100 for a $100 deduct., 3 yr., 30k

miles (OVER my basic 3/36 factory warranty) GM Major Guard plan

that covers EVERYTHING ! Including car rental !

My local dealer quoted $1700 plus NY sales tax for the same warranty and wouldn't budge on price.............

Black Chevy is in Pa. so no sales tax

BTW: Check the fine print on MOST aftermarket warranties. Some DO NOT cover struts ($2500 to replace in a Caddy), gaskets, etc......

GMPP does! ......................geo

93 DeVille-13 Chevy Impala

72 GTO - 77 Triumph Bonneville

84 Z-28

Syracuse NY

BTW: Some time back I purchased a ex-warranty for my 90 Caddy.

Got it from Liberty National Warranty Corp. Buffalo NY

GEE............Guess where THEY are TODAY ?

Thats right........BYE-BYE.........and my $$$ too ! :angry:

BUYER BEWARE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!.............geo

84 Z-28

Syracuse NY

You might want to check the price with AllState Insurance company. I bought an extended warranty from them in 1999 and it cost me $1200. I used it once for an AC replacement with no problems. They have several choices in the type of coverage that you can obtain from them.

I had an aftermarket warranty for my '96 STS that was good for 100,000 miles. When I had the odd problem, I had to call the warranty company 1st, and then they would direct me to one of their authorized repair centers. These places were authorized to use only aftermarket or used parts, but not OEM parts due to the cost. It was a big waste of money! The GM warranty is only a little more but the repairs get done at the dealer with OEM parts. They also have the training. Next time, I'll know better. Also, I'm told by a friend that sells Fords, that there's between 40 - 50% profit in these warranties for the dealer. Maybe you can get a deal if you ask the origional selling dealer.

Gee I'm sorry to hear so many people have had trouble with aftermaket companys (I guess I've been lucky)

Be aware, if you buy it from GM, you're paying a heavy price for that assurance though. The dealer marks it up to you a FULL 100%!

When my factory ran out, the dealership quoted me $1,800 for Two more years. I bought a new one from Warranty Direct for Seven years for $1,200.

It is a bumper-to-bumper, no deductable, Road Service, 100k mi. warranty (and YES the struts ARE covered)

Here's what to look for->

1) the company is backed by a large financial institution (these days, who knows ;) )

2) they tell you what they don't cover NOT what they do cover (how are YOU supposed to know every situation where some of it may not be part of the coverage)

3) they pay, with a Credit Card, BEFORE you pick up your car (some ask to be billed and the garage has to wait & wait for their money)

4) you can have your car fixed anywhere you want (my company has lots of signed up garages, if I want to go elsewhere I just have to get the repair approved first, then pay for the work myself and am supposed to be reimbursed - haven't needed it so I can't say for sure how well this works)

5) it's transferable if you sell your car (Got to make the new buyer feel it's a bonus, you shouldn't be penalized for selling the car)

I got free towing, EVERYTHING, No deductable, but "trim" items - chrome, paint, & glass - and "wear items" (belts, hoses, brakes, tires, fluids (except if their changed as part of a repair) - and shocks (but I Was told my active struts were covered) all until 2007 ALL for $1,200.

Unfortunatley, the car has been So trouble free, I haven't had much chance to use it :D I did have my FPR replaced, at the dealership, and they paid them like $160 for it ($40 part - 15min change, and they didn't *smurf*)

So, you Can be pretty sure your Caddy dealership will be there for you for the next couple years ;) but you're getting SLAMMED if you go for their extention. Shop around!

RALPH..........Glad to hear its working out for you !

I got burned once and you know how the saying goes............LOL

I checked a few other warranty companies and they were just about the same

price as a GMPP warranty.

Your right about the dealer markup too....My local dealer wanted $1700 and told

me THEY discounted !

My last 2 Caddies I have not purchased a ex-warranty and ran them both to

100k plus troublefree miles !

My truck is another story..........I snowplow, tow heavy, and haul lots of stuff.

She ain't no driveway queen ! Never know if/when I am gonna drop a transmission or a driveline part after mfr. warranty is over !

The GMPP warranty is also refundable if you sell/trade/or don't use it before

the term is up also...........................geo

84 Z-28

Syracuse NY

• 1 month later...

I bought an extended warranty from Warranty Direct, just before my GFM 50M warranty expired on my 98 Seville SLS. Took it up to 100M, for $1,200. Half what GM dealer wanted! Good thing I did. This is my first Caddy, so don't know if my experiences are normal, or if I bought a lemon. In the past year, Warranty Direct has paid my GM dealer over $5,000 for an assortment of repairs!!! No complaints, no dickering.

My 2000 STS w/17000 on it will go out of factory warranty in the middle of June. Was talking to the local Caddy dealer here and was told about a company called API that they use. So here is the deal.... 6 years from now. And 60,000 miles from my 17,000 on the car now = covered till 2010 or a total of 77,000 miles. -0- deductable, and rental car, they say that it covers everything except normal wear items, and cosmetics. Cost $ 1999.00.  <_<  Not bad if it is all they say it is. and if they will still be around in 2009-2010. 1st question:  I think that the dealer gets a commission for the sale... true? So if thats the case I should probley buy the plan myself and save on the commission  2nd question: anyone ever heard of API ? 3rd question: What do you guys think is the best after market warranty company out there is ? Any imput would be help... Thank you

As someone who works in the dealerships and sees all the problems that we encounter with none GM extended warranties, I would highly recommend that you go with the GMPP plans. Yeah, maybe you will pay more, but there is no hassle when you need something fixed. You wouldn't believe all the other companies that come and go, and have all sorts of ridiculous restrictions on repairs which you don't find out about until you are deep into a mechanical problem.

Ian

20 years ago I too got burned by a warranty company that "went out of business." I found out that's the common MO for these companies. Lot's of them stay around for a few years collecting the cash and conveniently go bankrupt once it gets time to start paying out claims. To make matters worse, a lot of the owners/managers of these companies turn around and start up another warranty company, then do it all over.

I'd be extremely extremely careful before I ever considered buying an aftermarket warranty again. Even if you do your research, you can still get burned.

In contrast, I have owned two vehicles with GM extended warrantees. I have found them to be excellent and hassle-free. Sure you pay more for them but in my opinion, well worth it in the long run.

Archived