CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

PCM P0300 Code

About two days ago the SES light came on. I checked the codes and found the P0300 code. Random Miss fire right? This can be caused by quite a few things. The only thing I've noticed is a rough idle when cold. The engine shakes the whole car and if put in gear the car will surge in pulses with the rough idle. I'm guessing this has something to do with the miss fire as well. Except the SES light doesn't come on until way after that. Sometimes not even until my drive home from work. Which is what happened today. Any suggestions on where I should start?

IPB Image

the same thing happedn to me a couple weeks after got my caddy, i turned out the previous owner was oblivious to tune-ups, got an oil change, new plugs and wires, and charged the battery...if you can afford it id also reccomend getting new coil packs. make surfe to only use ac delco plugs, and i recommend ac delco for the coil packs

the same thing happedn to me a couple weeks after got my caddy, i turned out the previous owner was oblivious to tune-ups, got an oil change, new plugs and wires, and charged the battery...if you can afford it id also reccomend getting new coil packs. make surfe to only use ac delco plugs, and i recommend ac delco for the coil packs

Just replaced the plugs a few weeks ago. Wires looked great but who knows. Coil pack could be the problem. Haven't even touched it before. Anyway to get the car checked out to know exactly what it is.

IPB Image

After dark, pull the beauty cover and mist the plug wires. If you see any arcing, you are due for new wires.

Use a short length of hose as a stethoscope and listen to each coil. If the coil insulation is breaking down internally, you might be able to hear it arcing.

And triple check all the plug wires for tight connections at both ends.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I second the wires. Can't go by looks. Stick with A/C Delco.

Yep, gonna check them tonight. Definitely sticking with A/C Delco. OEM plugs are in as well. How much for a new set of plug wires? And what's the lifespan of them? I have the set I took of my old engine, but it had 97,000 miles when I took them off. Should I just trash them?

IPB Image

At 97K they could be iffy. They may last 200K if not disturbed. Mine went on my '97 at about 78K, right after they were moved around for the fuel rail recall. You could try the old ones and see if it makes an improvement.

As far as the price goes, are you sitting down? I think I paid about $120 or so from http://www.rockauto.com. Now if you want to feel better about that price, call the dealer and get a price quote.

At 97K they could be iffy. They may last 200K if not disturbed. Mine went on my '97 at about 78K, right after they were moved around for the fuel rail recall. You could try the old ones and see if it makes an improvement.

As far as the price goes, are you sitting down? I think I paid about $120 or so from http://www.rockauto.com. Now if you want to feel better about that price, call the dealer and get a price quote.

Yeah I may try them just to see. I just bought a new PCV Valve. Installed it. I'll see how it does in the morning. Tried the water mist test on the wires. no arching anywhere. I've yet to check out the coil pack though.

IPB Image

Archived