CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Pully Noise

ed blaq

I am having a loud grinding/squeeking sound originating from the large pully above the water pump? Car drives fine but I need opinions on what to do if anything

Can I lubricate the wheel?

Any and all ideas appreciated.

Ed

Are you sure it is not the smaller idler pulley? They are usually what causes all the noise on that side. I think the big pulley is attached to the cam. I could be wrong.

On a northstar the water pump is on the driver side, just below the cam pulley. I would check again to be sure where the noise is coming from. Could be the idler, tensioner, atl or AC pulley. Check again and post back ;)

Lou

94 Seville STS

If it turns out to be the idler or tensioner pully, it has been said that the "seal" can be pried out, the bearing greased and then reseat the seal. I have done this before on (some) bearings though never on these....yet.

Are you sure it's coming from the water pump side, of the engine? Almost always, the water pump will leak, before it makes noise. Check the belt. It is very thin, and always should be replaced, with a water pump. I've had pulleys make noise, the tensioner, the AC compressor, and the alternator. I've had alternators make noise for a year, before they went, per se. Often, you will develop a bad diode (there are three) in the alternator. Two will work fine, for some time. You might get some power drain, at idle, but the alternator can run on two diodes, for quite some time. I've changed noisy AC compressors, only to find that the Caddy AC unit just makes noise! Not as common, but the power steering pump can make "normal" noise, as well. I've also seen people "muscle" parts in and out of cars, that can make the belts ride less than perfect. If it "ain't broke, don't fix it" rule should be applied here. I often find that the prevalent sound I hear from under the hood of a NS, is the accessories that the motor is driving! I have had a hard time, in the past, of pinpointing the exact cause of a noise. The front drive configuration, seems to make all noises blend together.

I am having a loud grinding/squeeking sound originating from the large pully above the water pump? Car drives fine but I need opinions on what to do if anything

Ed

There is nothing to lubricate on the water pump drive pulley. It is fixed to the camshaft end. There is a small seal, that seals the cam cover where the camshaft end protrudes, to engage the water pump drive pulley. If this seal was bad it would just quietly leak.

The only thing that could possibly make the kind of noise that you describe, at that point, would be a dry camshaft journel. If that has happened you have a problem, I doubt that it could be repaired.

I think it is more likely that the noise is transmitting from somewhere else. The most likely point I can think of is the water pump which is directly below, if the bearing is failing it could easily be making the noise that you describe.

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

Ed

Another passing thought. Could the plastic spark plug wire holder be rubbing the water pump drive pulley?

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

• 1 month later...

Archived