CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1997 STS door locks

mikeo

1997 STS door locks:

Situation - Car is sitting for a period of time with doors unlocked.

If any door is then opened, the power door locks actuate and lock all doors. For example, when entering the car in the morning, I open the drivers side REAR door to throw a briefcase in the back seat. Upon opening the rear door, all doors automatically lock! I then have to use the remote to open the doors so I can enter the drivers door.

This does not occur if only a "couple minutes" have passed after exiting and then re-entering the vehicle.

Can this "feature" (assuming it is a feature) be deactivated? If it is a feature, what is its purpose?

I have the same car as yours, and I have never seen or heard of this phenomenon, and I am almost 100% sure it is NOT a feature but a malfunction. Does this happen when opening ANY door? If it does then it's unlikely that it is an electrical short/contact problem. Have you pulled the codes (DTC)?

Yes, this hapens when ANY door is opened. I don't seem to have any other problems with the electronics related to the door locks.

I have not pulled codes but will have the mechanic check when I take the car in next time.

The locks are programmable - Someone with a service manual handy will chime in. I inadvertenly activated the lock programming sequence on my '96 awhile back...

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Here's an excerpt from the Owner's Manual, and it does not list it as an option. I disabled the whole enchilada (including the sounding the horn feature).

Programmable Automatic Door Locks

With the ignition in the RUN position, the door locks can be programmed through prompts displayed by the Driver Information Center (DIC). These prompts allow the driver to choose various lock settings.

To begin programming, press and hold the INFORMATION (INFO) and RESET (INFO RESET) buttons at the same time to display the following prompts.

DOOR LOCK IN GEAR: All doors automatically lock when shifted out of PARK (P). No automatic door unlock.

DOORS UNLOCK IN PARK: All doors automatically lock when shifted out of PARK (P). All doors automatically unlock when shifted into PARK (P).

DRIVER UNLOCK IN PARK: All doors automatically lock when shifted out of PARK (P). Only the driver's door automatically unlocks when shifted into PARK (P).

A "yes" of "no" response must be made after each prompt is displayed in order to continue on to the next prompt or personalization feature. Press the TRIP SET (TRIP RESET) button to choose yes, press the RESET (INFO RESET) button to choose no or press the INFORMATION (INFO) button to "skip" to the next personalization feature.

I have gone through the Drivers Information Center (DIC) programming several times and have not found anything that would indicate a setting such as is occurring on my vehicle.

Nevertheless, this is the first time I've used a forum such as this and it's cool to get some suggestions. Thanks!

Archived