CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

REALLY STUPID Allante Ragtop Problem

allenew

Looking for help here. Bought an 89 Allante yesterday. Took the hardtop off this afternoon (I think for the first time ever!). Problem is getting the rag top put back down. Took me awhile to figure out how to raise and latch it as I have no guidebook. Now that it is in place, I can't figure out how to fold it down again. I have the back window released and lifted up, front latches are off too, but I can't get the front half of the top folded back. It is almost like the rear 1/4 windows won't go down. Do I need 2 people to do this?? I have owned MANY convertibles before and cannot believe I gotta ask for help on this...

Embarassedly yours,

Allen E

We have a few Allante owners here that may chime in but check the Allante forum also maybe you can search this:

http://www.allante.com/content.aspx?page_i...p;module_id=836

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Looking for help here. Bought an 89 Allante yesterday. Took the hardtop off this afternoon (I think for the first time ever!). Problem is getting the rag top put back down. Took me awhile to figure out how to raise and latch it as I have no guidebook. Now that it is in place, I can't figure out how to fold it down again. I have the back window released and lifted up, front latches are off too, but I can't get the front half of the top folded back. It is almost like the rear 1/4 windows won't go down. Do I need 2 people to do this?? I have owned MANY convertibles before and cannot believe I gotta ask for help on this...

Embarassedly yours,

Allen E

Thanks--I've been up there for an hour looking for answers. I really gotta break down and buy a manual on Ebay or something. Thanks again!

If it's the same problem that I used to have with my 93, the secret is that as you begin to lower the front half of the top down, you sort of have to press the rear quarter windows in a little to give them the proper clearance to fold. Otherwise, they block the top from lowering.

Max

Embarassedly yours,

Allen E

Thanks--I've been up there for an hour looking for answers. I really gotta break down and buy a manual on Ebay or something. Thanks again!

Looks like he may have solved his problem you can follow it here, he got a lot a responses:

http://66.34.30.72/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?b...;num=1172947454

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

there should be a red lever behind, below the quarter window on the driver side. you have to flip this lever loose. one direction is for putting the top up with the quarter window and the other direction is for lowering the top. then the top will fold down into the well. once you know how it is pretty simple. had to go out to my garage and check something. when you release the rear of the top and lift it forward or up, you will see the red lever. its actually part of the frame of the ragtop and moving this lever will release the frame and allow it fold up

there should be a red lever behind, below the quarter window on the driver side. you have to flip this lever loose. one direction is for putting the top up with the quarter window and the other direction is for lowering the top. then the top will fold down into the well. once you know how it is pretty simple. had to go out to my garage and check something. when you release the rear of the top and lift it forward or up, you will see the red lever. its actually part of the frame of the ragtop and moving this lever will release the frame and allow it fold up

Hi,

Thanks for writing. Yes...I found that red lever very early on when I started this today. It does move up and down, etc., but I still can only lift the front of the top up about a foot or so after I have raised the rear window up. Front of the top just doesn't want to fold back. I'm really stumped. Will have another try tomorrow when I am less frustrated.

Regards.

Allen E

Its been over 10 years since I drove an Allante... soo From memory

I lift both leavers behind the driver seat.. One releases the back glass and one release the rear cover.

Pull up the back glass until that little red lever "clicks" and latches

Lift rear cover.

Unlatch at the windshield behind the visors.

It should fall easily into the well...

I'll get my old owners manual out of the attic to see if I missed anything..

The first time is a little fiddly but I so good at it that I could raise and lower at a stoplight.

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

Ya, I checked my old 1990 owners manual and I distilled the 17 step from memory fairly well.

I think you might be stuck at step #12...

Which the owners manual describes as

"Grap the soft top front bow near the windshield, raise it with your left hand, and pull it back and down until it folds into the stowage well. "

Clear as Mud LOL

caddy.jpg

Greg

Its been over 10 years since I drove an Allante... soo From memory

I lift both leavers behind the driver seat.. One releases the back glass and one release the rear cover.

Pull up the back glass until that little red lever "clicks" and latches

Lift rear cover.

Unlatch at the windshield behind the visors.

It should fall easily into the well...

I'll get my old owners manual out of the attic to see if I missed anything..

The first time is a little fiddly but I so good at it that I could raise and lower at a stoplight.

Thanks! I actually got it to work this morning. But I now know all the fiddly little "trick" techniques to do it with eyes shut now. So glad folks up here are so good about replying!

By the way, if that manual you have is for a 1989 and you don't' need it, is it for sale to me? I've got nothing here at all.

Best,

Allen E

Ya, I checked my old 1990 owners manual and I distilled the 17 step from memory fairly well.

I think you might be stuck at step #12...

Which the owners manual describes as

"Grap the soft top front bow near the windshield, raise it with your left hand, and pull it back and down until it folds into the stowage well. "

Clear as Mud LOL

Thanks so much! As seen in reply below, I got it sorted this morning after some fiddling about with it. I sure appreciate you and all others here replying so quickly to such an idiotic problem.

Best,

Allen E

Congrats...

Very Nice Car... B)

Enjoy it and post often...

I have only fond memories of my 90.5... One of the very best car GM ever made. Mine was the 27th one made with a power latching lid... I crashed/totaled it in 1995... And my insurance settlement became the down-payment on my house!

I'm trying to get "the wife" to let me trade the 02 STS for an 04 XLR... No luck yet..

caddy.jpg

Greg

Congrats...

Very Nice Car... B)

Enjoy it and post often...

I have only fond memories of my 90.5... One of the very best car GM ever made. Mine was the 27th one made with a power latching lid... I crashed/totaled it in 1995... And my insurance settlement became the down-payment on my house!

I'm trying to get "the wife" to let me trade the 02 STS for an 04 XLR... No luck yet..

Definitely will enjoy. My first was a gold 1963 Coupe de Ville which I got as a teenager. Then on to a '67 Eldorado (NO vinyl roof model). They are just fab cars in that era. I think Allante is headed for real modern-day classic status. A very different sort of Cadillac then and now, but much more interesting than alot of what was being made in the 80s/90s.

I Would give my eye teeth for an XLR, just can't justify the price quite yet. They really are tremendous looking in design, I think. Good luck convincing her. She'll deny it today, but if you get it, you will probably not be the one driving it most often...

Allen E

If only that was true... I might have a chance... But I am blessed with a 5 year old son and a 7 year old daughter...

If I get the XLR "the wife" will be trapped with "bus" duty...

This in spite of the fact the my 5 year old son owns his own car:

IPB Image

caddy.jpg

Greg

If only that was true... I might have a chance... But I am blessed with a 5 year old son and a 7 year old daughter...

If I get the XLR "the wife" will be trapped with "bus" duty...

This in spite of the fact the my 5 year old son owns his own car:

IPB Image

Lucky KID! I remember that 442 model very well. That was THE car when it came out. I was in college then with no budget for one, but had the Road & Track magazine images all over my wall!

By the way, if that manual you have is for a 1989 and you don't' need it, is it for sale to me? I've got nothing here at all.

Best,

Allen E

The 89 is basically the same as the 90, except the 90 had trac control, driver air bag and less complicated seats and I think 1990 was the first year for the CD player... PM me your email and I'll scan and send you whatever sections pieces you need.

Just what you really need, it is over 500 pages long... lots of GM safety boilerplate.

I guess you don't have the "Gold" keys for it?

caddy.jpg

Greg

Archived