CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Brake Pad Wear Indicator

weephee

I purchased a damaged 2003 STS recently and during the process of disassembling it, I noticed there is no electrical or electronic brake pad wear indicator. It looks like they have gone back to the steel on steel noise indicator. I have a 2002 STS and it has the electronic version which shows up on the DIC. Checked the 03 manual just to be sure and it is definitely changed. Any ideas as to why GM got rid of this methology of determining brake wear.

This is rather disheartening. I know my daughters '02 SLS has electronic wear indicators and assumed that my '03 DHS did as well, though I have not checked. I certainly hope it does. That is a very useful feature.

I would hope that cost saving measures would not be the reason for GM discontinuing this great way of notifying a driver that the brake pads are worn. In the cut throat world of Luxury car competition it wouldn't be to GM's advantage to give Japan or Germany any advantages in perceived leading edge technology. If cost savings is in fact the reason, I would have to say that I am disappointed in GM's thinking.

What do they look like, the electric wear indicators? I've never seen them before. I have a 2002 sts. I know it has it. Is there anything you have to be aware of when replacing the brakes?

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

....Is there anything you have to be aware of when replacing the brakes?

The rear pistons have to be rotated to retract.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Archived