CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Gremlins in my dash??????

coolnesss

My 98 ETC 85k miles developed kind of a burping noise in the dash panel a week or so ago; seems like its coming from the area where the dash meets the console - perhaps behind the climate controls. It happens at idle only, not while driving. Its a small noise - happens every perhaps 10 or 20 seconds. I was thinking it could be a vacuum leak under there. It seemed to be precipitated by a soft whooshing sound at idle only every once in a while that has gone on for a couple of months.

Then, today, I got a different noise - at idle again - kind of a ticking squinching around noise - almost like a mouse was in the dash. This seems to come from under or to the right side and below the speedometer housing.

The only code is a P0463 history.

The car runs great otherwise. Everything seems to be working correctly.

Any clues???

There are several air doors in that area that direct conditioned air either to the floor or dash vents and either to the driver or passenger. Mine makes a similar noise (as far as I can tell from here) when it is below about 30°F. I think it's a little vacuum motor linkage, or air door moving into its correct position. Either the linkage or plastic door itself could use a little silicone grease, but I'm not about to take my dash apart to find it just yet. The noise eventually goes away as the cabin temps normalize and approach the temp setting.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

.... Mine makes a similar noise (as far as I can tell from here) when it is below about 30°F. I think it's a little vacuum motor linkage....

Johnny:

Your door actuactor(s) are all electric.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

QUOTE(JimD @ Feb 26 2007, 11:48 PM)

QUOTE(JohnnyG @ Feb 26 2007, 06:21 PM)

.... Mine makes a similar noise (as far as I can tell from here) when it is below about 30°F. I think it's a little vacuum motor linkage....

Johnny:

Your door actuactor(s) are all electric.

OK, thanks. I think it might be a little electric motor linkage.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Archived