CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Ignition Wires/Blower Motor

Scotty

I lifted my hood last week to check my oil and noticed that my ignition wires were leaning up against my blower motor. It is my understanding that the EMF and or leakage from the wires can damage the circuit board on the motor. Check your ignition wires everytime you check your oil. I have to find a way to stop them from creeping back up there! Any suggestions? Mike

I just checked my car, and the wires are damned close, but not touching. Is there anyway you can adjust the angle of the spark plug boots on the coils? How about some type of shield? It may look ugly, but I have always been "function over form" per se. Wedge a thin piece of wood back there. Wood is non-conductive.

GM has a TSB on this. The TSB is for '94 and newer with the built in blower module.

BLOWER MOTOR FAILURE (CHECK SPARK PLUG WIRE ROUTING) #47-11-01A

SUBJECT: HEATER BLOWER MOTOR FAILURE AFTER SERVICING RIGHT HAND (REAR) BANK SPARK PLUG WIRES, SPARK PLUGS AND/OR IGNITION CONTROL MODULE (CHECK SPARK PLUG WIRE ROUTING)

MODELS: 1994 CADILLAC ELDORADO, SEVILLE AND CONCOURS WITH 4.6L NORTHSTAR ENGINE (VINS Y, 9 - RPOS LD8, L37)

THIS BULLETIN IS BEING REVISED TO CHANGE THE LABOR OPERATION NUMBER. PLEASE DISCARD BULLETIN 471101.

CONDITION:

SOME OWNERS MAY EXPERIENCE A HEATER BLOWER MOTOR FAILURE AFTER SERVICE TO THE IGNITION CONTROL MODULE, REAR (RIGHT) BANK SPARK PLUG AND/OR REAR (RIGHT) BANK SPARK PLUG WIRES HAVE BEEN PERFORMED.

CAUSE:

IF THE SPARK PLUG WIRES ARE ROUTED INCORRECTLY, LAYING NEAR OR CONTACTING THE BLOWER MOTOR HOUSING, VOLTAGE DISCHARGES FROM THE RIGHT (REAR) BANK SPARK PLUG WIRES MAY AFFECT BLOWER MOTOR OPERATION AND/OR CAUSE THE BLOWER MOTOR TO FAIL.

CORRECTION:

IF SERVICING AN ENGINE AND REAR BANK SPARK PLUG WIRE REMOVAL IS NECESSARY, EXERCISE CAUTION WHEN INSTALLING SPARK PLUG WIRES. SPARK PLUG WIRES MUST BE ROUTED AWAY FROM THE BLOWER MOTOR MOUNTED ON THE COWL PANEL. REFER TO CORPORATE BULLETIN NO. 316005 (CADILLAC BULLETIN T-93-101, GM OF CANADA 93-6-118) FOR PROPER SPARK PLUG WIRE ROUTING ARTWORK AND INFORMATION.

I think every replacement blower comes with a copy of this bulletin.

Archived