CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

check balls!!

i need a clear diagram of this...i already know where the other three check balls go..the eye drop shaped holes...but the fourth one next to the solenoid is whats bothering me...because there are two holes...one that has a metal ring around one hole...and another that doesnt have the metal ring around it...which one do i put it in!?!?!?!

because the ball sits right on top of the hole with the metal ring around it...where is the other hole w/out the metal ring lets the ball go all the way down and actually ends up right under the hole with the metal ring??? does that make scence??? need help quick guys!

I NEED A FAST REPLY PLEASE THANKS!

Cadillac STS, the check ball that goes by the soleniods has an indentation that it fits in, you can usually see a shiney area where it resides.

you will note three holes in the spacer plate where three of the check balls reside, seat them there (appr. 3/16" diameter with a smaller relief hole next to it. The fourth check ball will need to be inserted in a spherically-cast cavity which is near one the solenoids.

When I did mine this check ball kept wanting to go into the bolt hole that holds the new filter adaper.

John

John

wait in that diagram there are more than 4 check balls!?

Am I missing something here????? :angry:

without removing the black split, i should only have 4 check balls right??? why is it in the diagram it shows the wang or Florida looking end of the split with check balls???? if it does have check balls...i must have lost em' because i never saw them fall out or anyting..kinda stuck here

I see 4 in the accumulator, and 4 in the valve body itself. There does seem to be one "mystery ball" identified as #6 on the inset. So, the inset seems to identify a total of 9, but the main diagram only points out 8.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

I don't know the position of the valve body that you are working on, but on the old 350 hydromatics when you needed to remove the valve body, to keep the balls in place I was told to use white lithium grease to keep the balls in place, while you were putting the plates and valve body in place. I hope this helps and that is it not a stupid suggestion, Mike

Hi, here is a little more detail on the ball location. I did my shift sol replacement last year. I don't really recall seeing any ball in the #6 location.

The diagram below shows that location in a shadow. Perhaps that ball is under something and not an issue unless further parts are removed..

Hope this helps.

Barry

more_balls.jpg

2008 STS V8
2016 Colorado Z71
1970 Corvette LT-1 Coupe

Archived