CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Cheap(er) Front Struts

JasonA

I said that I would provide the results from what I found out from that company who appears to provide a very inexpensive replacement for the active struts on a few years of the Seville in the mid-1990s. I sent them an email last week from work, but the office is closed and the network is down due to ice storm, so I cannot check from home. I hope to have something when I get back.

I'm thinking about it, and they list struts for 1996 STS and SLS. They did not list them for 1997 Seville models. The front suspension was redesigned for the 1997 MY and if I recall correctly, the struts are physically NOT interchangeable, correct? I believe I read from the thread that used to exist on gmforums.com that the lower bolt holes were different sizes or in different locations. In short, I couldn't order struts for a 1996 STS and expect them to fit my '97, is that right?

Thanks,

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Jason, I was finally able to get a response from them. Below are my questions to them and their response.

Subject: 1993 Cadillac STS

1. Are the struts Listed for the 1993 Cadillac STS, designed to work with the computer controlled Road Sensing System in this car?

2. Is the electrical connection a resister to “fool” the computer so it will not put out error codes, or does your strut contain a valve mechanism, controlled by the computer, like the original ones?

3. You state that your struts will give a “…soft smooth ride…”. How soft and smooth compared to the original struts?

Please keep in mind that this is an STS and will see high speeds and a little pushing on some winding highways. I am a little concerned that a soft a strut will allow the car to “plow” on winding highways and “float” at higher freeway speeds.

4. Are your struts for this vehicle hydraulic or air?

I and a several other Cadillac STS owners are quite interested in your struts, but would like the answer to the above questions to help us decide if your struts are the right ones for our cars.

Our struts are passive. They have sensors inside them that trick the computer. This keeps the rest of the system active. They struts are

going to give your car a controlled ride. We have sold a lot of them and everyone likes the ride quality. For any reason if you are not

satisfied with the ride, we will be more than happy to refund you for the parts. Please e-mail me with any questions.

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

Our struts are passive. They have sensors inside them that trick the computer.

Ahh! Thanks for the info. I'll expect a similar response to them when I get back in the office I guess. :) I still think I need to buy 1997 specific struts, as the '96 ones won't fit mine. I think I'm still better off going with Delco anyway...I believe they're about $130 at last check, and the proper resistor, which I've already purchased actually, was less than $10.

Our struts are passive. They have sensors inside them that trick the computer. This keeps the rest of the system active. They struts are

going to give your car a controlled ride. We have sold a lot of them and everyone likes the ride quality. For any reason if you are not

satisfied with the ride, we will be more than happy to refund you for the parts. Please e-mail me with any questions.

Hey, good job G3, thanks. The ones on my '93 STS are going a bit soft ..I think. It only has 84k miles on it, no codes, but it is 11 years old. It feels like too much travel sometimes..like when you hit a low spot in the road at 100++ ;-) Time for a change I believe. I still wonder how they hold up under high performance conditions though..

Sure, they'll refund refund the parts if you think they're not adequate, but that doesn't help the big PIA of the change out...

It sure would be good to hear from someone with an STS (or any model) that has changed over to them.

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

This is what I heard from them:

Jason,

Our struts are passive. They have a sensor attached to them. This sensor keeps the ride control active. The rear will stay active. We do not have them available yet for the 97' models. The 97' models have an upgraded system. They will be available in another month. If you want, I can e-mail you when they are available. Please e-mail me with any questions.

Thank you

Adam

So...we'll see in a little while. I may consider buying from them. Still undecided.

• 10 months later...
What company is this? Do they have a web site?

I replaced all four Cadillac active shocks/struts with the Arnot kit for the '93 STS maybe five thousand miles ago. They work great, no complaints.

Here's a link to thier website:

http://www.arnottindustries.com/

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

just a comment the 97 shocks on a concourse are different and you are correcxt the bolt holes are different arnott sent me trhe wrong shocks i didnt even look at them closely till i started to install it took a week to straighten that mess out MAKE SURE THAT U ORDER THE CORRECT SHOCKS FOR YOUR CAR AND PLEASE DOUBLE CHECK THEM BEFORE U TEAR THE OLD ONES APART

I wanted to save money on front strut replacement, but I was hesitant to go with an aftermarket piece. I wanted to retain the advantage of the Continuously Variable Road Sensing Suspension. The stealership quoted the struts @ $670.00 each! Ouch! I got them for half that from gmpartsdirect.com ($335.00) and had the install and 4-wheel alignment done at a local Midas shop. The guy only charged me $174.00, but he was an old acquaintance so I guess he gave me a break on the labor.

Archived