CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Scraping/Grinding Trann. Noise

adallak

Two years ago I could not negotiate a curve in a heavy rain and got off the road with right front wheel spinning fast on the grass. Whole car was covered with grass spreaded by the wheel. A road sign stopped the car from farther skidding. The biggest consequence appeared to be a transmission problem. Since that day I cannot take off as used to do. I have to move really slowly, get some 15 miles/hour than carefully speed up. A real challenge is taking off while moving up a hill. If I am not careful a terrible grinding'scraping noise comes from under the car (I think in transmission area).

Despite I have made some 25kmiles since, but am still afraid it will let me down somewhere some day. Any suggestions, what it might be and how to fix. May an additive, say, Lucas help?

Thanks in advance.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Are you sue noise is coming from the trans. Problem could be exaust system / cat

I am not sure. But why i do not hear any noise when WOT or idle with 2500-3000RPM? Did you have simolar experience. The exaust lnes and muffler are in tact.

I discovered that the flywheel is not completely protected by the dust / splash shield. Rucks or debris could have found its way into the bellhousing? area and cause a ruckus. The shield itself may be bent.

You can see the flywheel if you look underneath the car just behind the bracket that goes under the front bank exhaust pipe. Its easy to take it off and have a gander.

You may also want to remove the front wheels and have a look at the hardware in there . Gravel may have gotten in there.

guys thanks for replying. the problem seems to be internal. i never have problems at high speeds, actually the car runs great excepr that take off issue. I heard an automatic transmission might be hurt if one spins wheels while the car say lifted sothat thw wheels do not touch the ground. I am afraid IT IS the scenario - wheel spinning on the grass .

adallak

I had a 91 that had a slamming noise that would only happen in neutral at about 1600 RPM, I drove the car 80,000 miles with it. Then one day I was driving and BOOM, tranny was shot, and I bearly got home. I wish I still had the photos to show you, but it was the sprag (i think that is the name), and it was really destroyed. As soon as I had the tranny rebuilt the noise was gone. I also considered it was the flywheel, engine/tranny mounts, bearings, etc. If you need your tranny rebuilt choose a firm wisely, mine shop was recommended by a local Caddy dealer and they were very CARELESS! Good Luck, Mike

thanks for the reply Mike. My 91 Seville had several problems (including ABS hydraulic modulator) I was able to fix myself. If something really bad happens to the tranny I will rather give it up than take it to shop. It's just not worth money it has 135.000. Too bad, I love this car :(

I love mine also, it is still sitting in my driveway, I really dont want to give it up, it is an incredible car. My tranny cost $1800 to rebuild, I figured that I could not buy a good car for $1800 so I got it fixed. However, at 125000 lots of things began going wrong, and the tranny shop messed the car up bad doing the R&R, wiring, etc. I currently have an electrical short that knocks out the cooling fans and horn, that I have not had time to find. Good Luck, Mike

Archived