CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Rough Idle

Sniper602

I have a 1992 El Dorado. My car started to idle extremely high. I changed the "Idle Speed Control", and now the idle is rough. I changed the PCV valve, plugs and wires and it still has a rough idle. I do not have any codes present. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

This may or may not be related to this problem. I often find that the cars I service, are usually associated with individuals that use the oil change reccomendations, use regular fuel, and haven't seen coolant pellets, since inception. Sorry guys, but change the oil at 3000 miles or three months. Use premium fuel, and add the pellets or bars leak, and never flush the coolant with a machine. For those that use oil, check it every 500 miles! Keep it full! Simple common sense, and cheap insurance to boot!

Thanks for the replies. I will let try the things mentioned and let you guys know the outcome.

As far as the fuel.....premium only. Pellets......i'm not sure. I take my car to a radiator shop. Should I add pellets just in case none were ever put in?

Thanks again for your help.

More Problems!!! :angry:

I was getting ready to remove the throttle body cover along with the breather hose that goes into the valve cover, to check some things out. The hose became brittle and the peice that goes into the valve cover broke inside the valve cover. I removed the valve cover retreived the peice, replaced the gasket, and now when I put everything back, my car sounds like their is air escaping from somewhere. Not only that but my idle is still rough, and when i take off, my car wants to die out.

Any ideas, as what to look for?

Just letting my frustrations out. Thanks in advance.

Any car at this age will experience brittleness in hoses and orings, which will contribute to a rough idle. The engine may be mechanically sound, but rubber parts do wear out quicker. Examination will reveal this, as you have seen with a broken hose.

Try replacing common hoses that you can buy at PepBoys, and a thorough cleaning of air intake system.

You probably broke the vacuum line going to the MAP sensor. You can fix it by slipping some hose over the leak and using zip ties as hose clamps. I'd replace all the vacuum lines to be safe. You don't have to go to the dealer, you can buy a spool from places like car quest or other parts stores.

You have received some good advice, since I last posted on this query. One more thought, however. I JUST had a car that showed a similar problem. Ran like crap, and "blew" a HC figure on the gas analyzer as high as a late 70's carb car! Turned out to be a simple "vacuum" leak! HC stands for hydrocarbons, or unburnt fuel. Check this out.

Archived