CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Replace brake pads

WRS'99STS

I just had my rear brake pads and rotors replaced on my 99 STS.

The DIC is still telling me to replace the brake pads. The repair shop said that I have to replace the pad sensors as they are one time use. Is this true, or am I getting a load of crap.

Thanks for any advise.

Wayne

The pad warning circuit is open somewhere; either the sensor was worn to the point of wearing through the wire, or the sensors are still OK and simply not connected properly.

The sensors are easily replaced just by pulling the wheel to gain access to the pad.

It is possible to disable the entire sensor loop with one jumper wire but you would be giving up the early warning.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

The repair shop said that I have to replace the pad sensors as they are one time use. Is this true, or am I getting a load of crap.

The sensors are sacrifical. If you caught it before they got worn down, then they can be reused.

WRS'99STS

Since you say that the DIC "still" says to change the brake pads, I will assume that you changed the brakes after the warning came on. The pad sensor will set the DIC warning after it wears down, and creates an open circuit. These sensors are not resettable, and must be replaced once they have worn. Since pads do not usually wear exactly evenly side to side, you may only need one sensor, unless you drove alot of miles with the warning displayed. They can be had from the dealer, and are easy to replace.

Don

"Modern warriors saddle iron horses of chrome."

Archived