CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

tranny problems-and steering wheel not centered

ken.a

since a new engine was installed my steering wheel is not centered ... And my abs and traction control lights are lit .....Oh yea=my tranny only takes off in first gear from eng start up and will not go back into first untill I shut off and restart HELP

Take it back. It needs the sensors hooked back up and the front end re-aligned. If they won't take it back and fix it, you have a dispute.

For now, get the OBD II codes and post them here. Here's how:

http://www.caddyinfo.com/readingcodes.html

It's normal to have to re-align your front wheels after an engine or transmission remove/replace. The cradle is dropped and that disrupts your toe-in and steering wheel centering. The re-alignment should have been part of the job. It's minor.

Your ABS and traction control lights are probably on because the shop failed to re-connect your wheel sensors (at the center of the hubs) or the suspension height sensors, or both.

The lack of first gear after the first shift into second may be due to a lot of things. I'm thinking speed sensors inside the transmission and the vehicle speed sensor, on top of the right half-axle; if your speedometer works then they hooked the VSS back up. The OBD II codes will tell us what is disconnected. There may be more loose than just the suspension sensors, like the throttle position sensor, etc.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

since a new engine was installed my steering wheel is not centered ... And my abs and traction control lights are lit .....Oh yea=my tranny only takes off in first gear from eng start up and will not go back into first untill I shut off and restart HELP

My current codes are pz 2042, pc 1571,

My history codes are pc 0603 and pc 1602 , pc 1644 ,,,, pz 1552, ir 1740, ip 1552

any help would be appriciated ...fyi I put the motor in ...smile

?2042 I don't have this one

U1042 Lost Communications with Brake/Traction Control System (maybe this one?)

P1571 Traction Control Torque Request Circuit

P0603 Control Module Long Term Memory Reset (battery has been disconnected recently)

P1602 Knock Sensor (KS) Module Performance

P1644 Traction Control Delivered Torque Output Circuit

B1552 Keep Alive Memory (KAM) Error (battery has been disconnected recently)

B1740 Driver Seat Front Down Switch Circuit Malfunction

P1740 Torque Reduction Signal Circuit

It looks like the traction control system cable is unplugged, and perhaps the knock sensor too. These are minor wiring issues. Your installer should know what cables to check with this information.

Of course, he should have know how to get the codes himself and check out the car, test drive it, etc. If he is cooperative, you don't need to point this out to him as he will be embarrassed enough by the comeback.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

thank you Jim, this gives me a place to start. I think a manufacture service manual is a must for truly getting an understanding of this rig! I love this forum .... hEY DO YOU THINK THEY HAVE ONE FOR THE YUGO OR THE PACER? :D

?2042 I don't have this one

U1042 Lost Communications with Brake/Traction Control System (maybe this one?)

P1571 Traction Control Torque Request Circuit

P0603 Control Module Long Term Memory Reset (battery has been disconnected recently)

P1602 Knock Sensor (KS) Module Performance

P1644 Traction Control Delivered Torque Output Circuit

B1740 Driver Seat Front Down Switch Circuit Malfunction

P1740 Torque Reduction Signal Circuit

It looks like the traction control system cable is unplugged, and perhaps the knock sensor too. These are minor wiring issues. Your installer should know what cables to check with this information.

Of course, he should have know how to get the codes himself and check out the car, test drive it, etc. If he is cooperative, you don't need to point this out to him as he will be embarrassed enough by the comeback.

Check Helm, Inc. for owners' manuals for the Pacer, or eBay. For the Yugo, I would suggest a Clymer's unless you can get one from the manufacturer. Have you tried Googling "Yugo?"

Archived