CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Cellular telephones,

Well,

I couldn't hold out any darned longer.

I got one.

For lord sakes.

The only telephone out there that isn't the size of a dime is this stupid "Razr" phone.

It's thin and spelled incorrectly, I hate that, but it's big enough to feel like a phone.

Now all I ever get done is answering phone calls it seems like,

Everyone wants to call because I got myself a new telephone. ;)

So Sprint gives me the stupid free internet for one month,

It's stupid because it's slow.. but for a phone it is ok.

I was standing in the parking lot at Applebees this evening checking my e-mail and I thought to myself "We're all going to die" -

( Because you can be standing in the Applebees parking lot reading new e-mail )

I'm going to drop the internet from it, $15USD/mo for "the fastest phone internet" is ridiculous. A dead gnat uses more bandwidth than the phone..

Of course I had to sign a two year contract or give them a non airborne finger ;)

Well I'm still not one of those idiots you always see sitting there playing with a cellphone.

But I had to have one.

That makes me mad.

MerryChristmas

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

Be a Capitalist or work for one.

IPB Image

Work for a Capitalist or be one.

MerryChristmas

Well,

I got one.

Not a big fan myself, TF. Although I must say I don't even have a land line (haven't for five years) and it's worked out alright. The key is not to sit there and talk on it ALL DAY. And please, don't get a BlueTooth!!! Not to offend anyone that has one, but to see people about in public talking amongst themselves with that ridiculous thing connected to their ear makes me laugh! Well, especially if they have it in their ear and aren't currently using it. IMHO, not a fashion accessory.

Just one man's opinion, that's all!

<!--fonto:Arial--><span style="font-family:Arial"><!--/fonto-->2007 DTS Performance - 50K

<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->

As a matter of fact, I <i>am</i> driving 70 MPH in a phone booth.

Well,

I got one.

Not a big fan myself, TF. Although I must say I don't even have a land line (haven't for five years) and it's worked out alright. The key is not to sit there and talk on it ALL DAY. And please, don't get a BlueTooth!!! Not to offend anyone that has one, but to see people about in public talking amongst themselves with that ridiculous thing connected to their ear makes me laugh! Well, especially if they have it in their ear and aren't currently using it. IMHO, not a fashion accessory.

I couldn't agree more. I have a Treo 650 PDA phone with Blue Tooth capability and wouldn't be caught dead with that gizmo on my ear, running around looking like I'm crazy - talking to myself. How ironic Fred, I too just ordered a phone today for my son's Christmas present from the online Sprint store. It's the Sanyo M1 that was just released on Sunday. None of the Sprint stores here locally have them yet. I was all over town today looking at phones. The M1 has the 2 Megapixel camera and MP3 player, with a built in 1 Gig memory. Personally, I'd rather have the expansion card slot like my Treo, but it should fit his bill just fine. I like the fact that it can transfer pics and mp3 music files back and forth from the pc like the Treo, bypassing the expensive Sprint Vision Service. My wife's 2 yr old camera phone can't do that, although I found out today, with a data cable and the right drivers, it can be done. I too tried the Vision for 1 month for free, then cancelled it. Be sure to cancel in time, or they will try to bill you for the next month. They will tell you they'll set it up to cancel automatically....don't believe them. My favorite phone is the Chocolate. Now that's a sweet phone! But unfortunately, it's a Verizon phone, and I'm with Sprint. Hopefully one day soon, these phone companies will let you take your phone with whatever carrier you please. Are the "Unlocked" phones they sell on Ebay and other places ones that can be activated with any carrier, or does "Unlocked" mean something else?

Well,

I got one.

I could never talk on the phone all day,

For me if I am going to be communicating with someone all day-

It's either look eachother straight dead on into the eyes business -or-

Something I've forgotten how to do but am probably still darned good at B):lol:

Bluetooth, greentooth, mine are a nice shade of off white and staying that way

And that's no headset, that's coffee and cigarettes :lol:

The built-in speakerphone on this "RazR" sucks baseballs..

maybe a handsfree gizmoe would be good for the roadways

MerryChristmas

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

IPB Image

MerryChristmas

Well,

I got one.

I couldn't agree more. I have a Treo 650 PDA phone with Blue Tooth capability and wouldn't be caught dead with that gizmo on my ear, running around looking like I'm crazy - talking to myself. How ironic Fred, I too just ordered a phone today for my son's Christmas present from the online Sprint store. It's the Sanyo M1 that was just released on Sunday. None of the Sprint stores here locally have them yet. I was all over town today looking at phones. The M1 has the 2 Megapixel camera and MP3 player, with a built in 1 Gig memory. Personally, I'd rather have the expansion card slot like my Treo, but it should fit his bill just fine. I like the fact that it can transfer pics and mp3 music files back and forth from the pc like the Treo, bypassing the expensive Sprint Vision Service. My wife's 2 yr old camera phone can't do that, although I found out today, with a data cable and the right drivers, it can be done. I too tried the Vision for 1 month for free, then cancelled it. Be sure to cancel in time, or they will try to bill you for the next month. They will tell you they'll set it up to cancel automatically....don't believe them. My favorite phone is the Chocolate. Now that's a sweet phone! But unfortunately, it's a Verizon phone, and I'm with Sprint. Hopefully one day soon, these phone companies will let you take your phone with whatever carrier you please. Are the "Unlocked" phones they sell on Ebay and other places ones that can be activated with any carrier, or does "Unlocked" mean something else?

I didn't care too much about features so long as it was able to call out :lol:

I got a good sales lady with a sweet smile and a large curves,

In spite of the great features on her she actually had a good brain to go with it :o

She says to me, be sure and cancel that so we won't bill ya...

That lady conned me right into buying a phone. Choices are limited here.

Sprint is the best network near here, Motorola I always loved their phones..

And the Motorola brings in and sends out the best signal as far as I can tell.

They have a new RazR it is a crazy extreme one.

The new one.

The CRAZR

Like wow man gee that is neato and keen and far out.

Just give me the free razr gadget and marry me for two years against my will and hush :lol::lol::lol:

MerryChristmas

IPB Image

MerryChristmas

I've gotten so used to a cell phone I don't know how I ever got by without one. I don't know how people lived!

I use it so much that the land line ringing is just an oddity nowadays.

Hopefully one day soon, these phone companies will let you take your phone with whatever carrier you please. Are the "Unlocked" phones they sell on Ebay and other places ones that can be activated with any carrier, or does "Unlocked" mean something else?

Yeah unlocked means they are not tied to one specific carrier. You said you use Sprint? I'm not if they use SIM cards or not (I think they do) but basically with an unlocked phone you just stick your SIM card in and....theoretically....that phone will work for you. In practice it's more of a gamble. Unlocked phones are a bad idea.

Since we're an automotive board, here's an analogy. An unlocked phone is basically like throwing a Ford engine in your Cadillac, but not changing the transmission or anything else. If you get lucky.....everything MIGHT just work together. Odds are it's just not gonna match up.

As for moving files.....that is one VERY good thing about Bluetooth...it's not just for headsets....I take pictures with my phone all the time, and my computer has a bluetooth adaptor on it (costs like 20 bucks)...I can just shoot everything wirelessly. I can also make my ringtones and such.

I keep my Bluetooth earpiece in my console. It's ideal for hands free calls while driving. It's rare, but on occasion I have to make/receive calls while driving.

post-416-1165509059_thumb.jpg

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

I keep my Bluetooth earpiece in my console. It's ideal for hands free calls while driving. It's rare, but on ocassion I have to make/receive calls while driving.

No features?!!

Where do I sign :lol:

MerryChristmas

IPB Image

MerryChristmas

It might sound funny but I went with all that fancy pants cel phone crap and got ripped off but most services out there. I went out and got a cheap $20.00 trac phone that I own with no dues get my 60 minute card for like $18.00 at any wal mart or kmart and im set dam thing works just as good as any cell phone i ever had. Calls in and out has all the bells and whistles thats needed with a cell phone and for the $20.00 I own it with no contracts or bull added. great phone for anyone like me who uses it for break downs ect.

I keep my Bluetooth earpiece in my console. It's ideal for hands free calls while driving. It's rare, but on ocassion I have to make/receive calls while driving.

Since I drive two different rigs, I have two distinct Blue Tooths. One is a Motorolla 850 that looks a lot like a pager or a garage door opener. I use that one in the STS and it works great. The other one is a ear piece unit that I use in my Bronco and it stays in the vehicle. I'll wear it when I go up and down the highway but I wouldn't wear it out side the car.

Jim

Since I drive two different rigs, I have two distinct Blue Tooths. One is a Motorolla 850 that looks a lot like a pager or a garage door opener. I use that one in the STS and it works great. The other one is a ear piece unit that I use in my Bronco and it stays in the vehicle. I'll wear it when I go up and down the highway but I wouldn't wear it out side the car.

Jim

Yes, I wouldn't be caught dead wearing that thing on the street. In the car, however, it can be a great convenience (my newly tinted windows help in that regard). But then, I'm over 12 years of age. :)

If I expect to make/receive calls while in the car I'll hang the phone with its antenna extended from the rear view mirror using a rubber band. No holes drilled in MY dash for a phone mount! And no thief will see the empty phone mount and think there might be a phone concealed in the console or glove box.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

It might sound funny but I went with all that fancy pants cel phone crap and got ripped off but most services out there. I went out and got a cheap $20.00 trac phone that I own with no dues get my 60 minute card for like $18.00 at any wal mart or kmart and im set dam thing works just as good as any cell phone i ever had. Calls in and out has all the bells and whistles thats needed with a cell phone and for the $20.00 I own it with no contracts or bull added. great phone for anyone like me who uses it for break downs ect.

Good idea.. everyone should at least have an old phone for calling 911

As far as I know, most phones can call 911 without service

MerryChristmas

IPB Image

MerryChristmas

All cell phones with or without an active service contract are required to be capable of connecting to 911; FCC requirement. Don't throw away 'old' cell phones or toss them in the closet; donate them to a women's shelter or some other worthy organization.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

All cell phones with or without an active service contract are required to be capable of connecting to 911; FCC requirement. Don't throw away 'old' cell phones or toss them in the closet; donate them to a women's shelter or some other worthy organization.

I was aware of that requirement for new phones, I just wasn't sure that the older phones would be able to communicate with the network - I thought it would all be a different type of signal or a different new set of standards.

MerryChristmas

IPB Image

MerryChristmas

Archived