CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

oil pressure

mike5514

I like my SLS a lot! I do have a peeve, there is no way to actually read the oil pressure. Is it possable to program it in the dic or if not add a oil pressure guage at the oil filter. If I can, I do my own work I dont like taking my car in for service. I have been reading post on this forum for some time now. I registered today so this is my first post Thanks MIKE

Welcome to the board! I don't think you can program the oil pressure in the DIC. You can program actual water temperature (very cool!), but not oil pressure. See instructions here for the water temperature:

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=179

As for the oil pressure, I imagine you could add a gauge -- put a Y fitting where the oil pressure switch is. I don't know anyone who's done it, but I don't see why it couldn't be done.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

be aware that the Norhtstar engine normally has very little oil pressure at idle when hot. That is normal and is not a reason for concern....

REALLY! :huh: How lilttle is "very little"? And why? I'm used to seeing 40 psi at idle. just curious.

REALLY! :huh: How lilttle is "very little"? And why? I'm used to seeing 40 psi at idle. just curious.

Like 5-10 psi. Why build up a lot of oil pressure when you don't need to? Just creates more friction and drag on the engine. I understand you need very little oil pressure at idle to sustain lubrication, so maintaining 30 or 40 psi is just creating unnecessary drag on the engine.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

• 1 month later...

Hi all.....

Bob, the oil warning light on my 89 Eldorado(100k miles) flickers when in park after the engine has warmed up at 650 to 700 RPM's. The moment I put it into gear and it goes down to 600 RPM, it lights right up. It makes me want to put it in neutral at traffic lights. At what oil pressure does the light come on and is this a concern?

Thanks so much in advance,

John

Let me attest, the NS will run for short periods, without any oil pressure. I have been running my own experiments ....(not by choice).

Guru, .....you mentioned the oil sending unit was capable in the '93 NS Allante,...would this be true in a '93 STS???

Hi all..........

I'm having an OEM(Guru's recommendation) oil pressure switch replaced on my 89 Eldorado on Friday. Today, I was getting a low oil pressure warning at 1200 and 1300 RPM after an hour of driving. I stopped the car and listened to the engine idle and it didn't seem to have unusual clatter so I also checked the oil and it was just right. I sure hope it's just the switch.

When my mechanic installs the switch, he suggested getting an actual oil pressure reading.

What should I expect at idle as normal with a 4.5L with 101k on engine? And, what about at, say, 1800 RPM no load?

Thanks in advance...

John :(

Oh Boy! :(

My mechanic put an oil pressure gauge on at the oil filter(it registers from 20lbs to 300 lbs) and I had to rev the engine to 2500 rpm to get it to register 25 lbs. It otherwise wouldn't budge the needle. We changed the switch(OEM) and the oil filter. I was getting the red light warning at about 1100 RPM at the garage and after driving just 7 miles, it came on at 1600 RPM. This loss of oil pressure has been over a period of about 300-400 miles. My mechanic dumped in some NAPA magic oil and it did nothing.

The car is parked until I figure this out. My mechanic suspects the crankshaft and bearings but I can't see why this would happen so quickly. I am hoping that it's an obstruction such as at the screen in the oil pan. If we were to use air and blow from the oil filter back toward the oil pan, would this dislodge "stuff" on the screen? The oil pan gasket was replaced last fall and the previous owner had tried to seal the gasket with silicone(red stuff). I wonder if some of this got into the system. Incidentally, the timing cover is leaking. Also, the engine is not clattering at all yet...it's really quite quiet.

Any thoughts and advice would be appreciated....

Thanks in advance.

John

Archived