CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Rear end squeak

Phillip

I recently developed a terrible squeak in the rear end of my '96 STS. After 10 years and 200,000 km with no repairs or modifications, everything is looking a little tired back there. It sounds like the squeak is coming from the shock. I have never heard a shock squeak like this. It sounds more like a dried bushing. Has anyone else had this happen?

I recently developed a terrible squeak in the rear end of my '96 STS. After 10 years and 200,000 km with no repairs or modifications, everything is looking a little tired back there. It sounds like the squeak is coming from the shock. I have never heard a shock squeak like this. It sounds more like a dried bushing. Has anyone else had this happen?

Yep - Had an annoying squeak / groan on the left rear. Was driving me crazy. I finally took off the wheel to add some non-grease lube (e.g. LPS) to and/or replace the various rubber bushings in the rear and found that the seals on the wheel assembly control arm (metal) bushings were shot.

I was fortunate in the fact that only the seals had failed and the existing lube was still in place. These bushings can not be purchased and you have to buy a new control arm. I was able to flush out the bushing area, force new grease into the parts and made new seals to keep out water / dirt. I added some LPS to the rubber bushings on both sides of the car and the problem was solved.

Short story is - yes, it probably is a dried-out or damaged rubber part. It might be a shock, but check the control arm seals and bearings to make sure these are OK. The noise can be caused by metal contact as opposed to dried rubber.

Let us know how things turn out.

Hi Phillip,

Could be a rear knuckle bushing gone bad. It's common on older and or high mileage caddys. Unfortunately the bushing cannot be purchased seperately from the knuckle itself (though many have tried unsuccessfully). One knuckle runs a little over $300.

As you get into the car and plop down onto the drivers seat, can you hear the sound? Another good test, while the car is in park, is to push down on the rear bumper. Does it make the sound? Next pull up on the tire well on the afflicted side. Any sounds? And while we're on the subject of sound let's clear that up a little if we can. You mentioned a "squeak" sound. Does it sound like there is a fat mouse stuck back there or is it more like a creaking, clicking, or a racheting sound? My bet is on the rear knuckle.

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

Yes I agree on the knuckle as the cause except for the noise part. I am in the middle of this repair on a 94 SLS.

As stated the bushings can not be bought without the knuckle. This makes this a very expensive repair since the dealer want's $500. for the part and the lowest price I found on line was $400.

Mine didn't have a squeak but had a rattle. Drove me nuts because I couldn't see anything loose back there. Only after I had jacked the car up and held the tire to help pull myself up is when I found the cause. The bushing on the top of the knuckle was so loose the tire moved when I pulled on it.

After removing the knuckle I found the bushing was very worn. I did press the bushings out so they can be serviced, but no ones sells the bushings. Catah 22 I guess.

Anyway, I was lucky enough that I found a very good used one for $45. at a local yard. :D

Thanks.

I will have to take the wheel off tonight and look around. By the way, what is LPS? Is that a specific brand name of lubricant? I assume it must be formulated to be harmless to the rubber bushings.

I will let you know what I find out.

Check out the LPS heavy duty silicone lube at http://www.lpslabs.com/products/Lubricants...utySilicone.asp W.W. Grainger sells this and you might find some in a local hardware store.

• 3 weeks later...

After removing the knuckle I found the bushing was very worn. I did press the bushings out so they can be serviced, but no ones sells the bushings. Catah 22 I guess.

Anyway, I was lucky enough that I found a very good used one for $45. at a local yard. :D

Do you still have the old parts? If you can send me either the old bushing or the exact dimensions, I can make new bushings. I realize that you have already fixed your car but I should be able to save a lot of other people a bit of cash.

If you send me the dimensions, I need the OD of the bushing, the ID of the inner steel cylinder, the length of both the inner and outer steel cylinders and the thickness of the rubber. I am assuming here that the bushing consists of two concentric steel tubes with a rubber filler. Tho OD of the bushing has to be very carefully measured as it is an interference fit.

Archived