CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Blower Noise Repair

Poobah

I have a couple of inside the dash projects planned for the next week or two. While I have things apart, I want to look at my blower motor and fan to get rid of the ticking (or bumping) sound it makes. The sound gets faster or slower depending on the blower speed. It sounds like something on the motor or the impeller is contacting the case as the blower turns. I've heard this same noise in other GM cars (it seems to be a common problem).

My Factory Service Manual says to look at things like broken or missing case seals, deposits of foreign material, cracked impeller blades or hub, loose impeller retainer or balance weights, and improper impeller alignment. Any of these could be making the sound I'm hearing.

Have any of you had experience with this? It would be nice to have an idea of what I'm likely find when I get in there and, hopefully, have the parts ready so I don't end up driving around with my dash torn apart for a week while I chase down the parts.

Thanks in advance.

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

I have a couple of inside the dash projects planned for the next week or two. While I have things apart, I want to look at my blower motor and fan to get rid of the ticking (or bumping) sound it makes. The sound gets faster or slower depending on the blower speed. It sounds like something on the motor or the impeller is contacting the case as the blower turns. I've heard this same noise in other GM cars (it seems to be a common problem).

My Factory Service Manual says to look at things like broken or missing case seals, deposits of foreign material, cracked impeller blades or hub, loose impeller retainer or balance weights, and improper impeller alignment. Any of these could be making the sound I'm hearing.

Have any of you had experience with this? It would be nice to have an idea of what I'm likely find when I get in there and, hopefully, have the parts ready so I don't end up driving around with my dash torn apart for a week while I chase down the parts.

Thanks in advance.

The only experience I have had with blower motor noise is when mice decided to build a nest in the middle of the squirrel cage fan. Ticking or bumping could be nest material hitting the fan. I ended up pulling the fan and taking a vacuum to the nest material and ductwork, problem was solved. It is the right time of the year for critters to find warm nests in the ductwork or air cleaner boxes.

The only experience I have had with blower motor noise is when mice decided to build a nest in the middle of the squirrel cage fan. Ticking or bumping could be nest material hitting the fan. I ended up pulling the fan and taking a vacuum to the nest material and ductwork, problem was solved. It is the right time of the year for critters to find warm nests in the ductwork or air cleaner boxes.

Interesting thought - I would never have thought of it. We'll see when I open 'er up.

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

Archived