CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Cold Air From Air Conditioning Blowing To The Floor

Rexfordray

I owe a 1980 Cadillac Fleetwood, 2 Door Coupe, 368 CID, 6.0 Liter, 4 Barrel Carb, THM 400 Trans that just had a reman engine installed. The engine swap went just fine and everyting worked perfectly. Today, I turned the air conditioning on and the cold air didn't coming throught the dash vents but rather a center vent pointed down to the middle of the floor. The same is true for the bi-level function (dash vents and the floor) and the defroster. I get plenty of cold air but not of it is through the dash vents. Hlep!

This probably doesn't have anything to do with the engine swap. Look at the vacuum lines under the dashboard and the vacuum servos that move around the flaps that route the air through your heater core, A/C evaporator, and vent ducts. The dashboard controls and the temperature control operate valves that control the vacuum to them. The one that switches the HVAC flow from the floor ducts to the dashboard ducts isn't working, either because of a vacuum plumbing problem, a stuck vacuum servo, or a stuck duct routing flap.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived