CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

77 deville

ccdog

It appears that I may have a dead short to frame on my positive battery cable. The battery drains when the car is just sitting. I disconnect all connections to the generator. I still have continuity from the positive battery cable ( both pos and neg are disconnect from battery) to the case of the generator. I was told by a mechanic that the generator is not at fault. I am not a mechanic but I am a tech. Can anyone tell me where the other end of the pos battery cable goes to so I check for a short? Between this issue and working on the rear brake line I am tired of the view. Thanks in advance for any info....Jim

There are three positive battery cables. They go to

1. The starter solenoid. This one can be seen to go under the fuel injection manifold.
  2. The alternator, which is low on the engine under the battery.
  3. The maxifuse block on the driver's side, under the box behind the air cleaner.
This last battery cable goes under the radiator, and is protected by a plastic tube. This one has always struck me as vulnerable to road damage that could result in a short circuit just like the one you describe. Track it down and make sure that it isn't pinched in some sheet metal that has cut through the insulation. If it looks good, disconnect it from the maxifuse block (the brass nut is visible and easily reached), disconnect the positive terminal from the battery too, and see of the short is still there. If so, the next thing to look for is the starter solenoid, which is in the valley between the cylinders under the intake manifold, since you have elminated the alternator.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

It appears that I may have a dead short to frame on my positive battery cable. The battery drains when the car is just sitting. I disconnect all connections to the generator. I still have continuity from the positive battery cable ( both pos and neg are disconnect from battery) to the case of the generator. I was told by a mechanic that the generator is not at fault. I am not a mechanic but I am a tech. Can anyone tell me where the other end of the pos battery cable goes to so I check for a short? Between this issue and working on the rear brake line I am tired of the view. Thanks in advance for any info....Jim

Your battery cable, starter solenoid cable, alternator cable, and power to the 'first' fuse box will all be common to each other.

If you can cause the continuity to 'go open' by pulling fuses one at a time, you have narrowed the problem down.

Otherwise, I would electrically isolate the alternator as a check for a leaky diode.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Thanks to all who replied. This car has the 425 in it. It is not fuel injected. The generator is on top of the motor. Does the info regarding the 3 pos cable still apply? One thing I didn't mention is that I charged the battery. I started the car and let it run for about 20 minutes. I shut the car off. I tried to start it again but it wouldn't even turn over. Another thing I noticed is that the trunk pull down isn't working. I had opened the trunk using the key but when I went to close it I noticed the trunk wouldn't close all the way. That is how I realised there was a problem to begin with. Sorry I forgot that info. Do you guys think that the pull down could be the culprit? I do not get major arching when connecting the battery. I was stumped with the continuity issue between the pos battery cable and the generator case. That is why I thought there was a short to the frame...Thanks...Jim

There are three positive battery cables. They go to

1. The starter solenoid. This one can be seen to go under the fuel injection manifold.
  2. The alternator, which is low on the engine under the battery.
  3. The maxifuse block on the driver's side, under the box behind the air cleaner.
This last battery cable goes under the radiator, and is protected by a plastic tube. This one has always struck me as vulnerable to road damage that could result in a short circuit just like the one you describe. Track it down and make sure that it isn't pinched in some sheet metal that has cut through the insulation. If it looks good, disconnect it from the maxifuse block (the brass nut is visible and easily reached), disconnect the positive terminal from the battery too, and see of the short is still there. If so, the next thing to look for is the starter solenoid, which is in the valley between the cylinders under the intake manifold, since you have elminated the alternator.

Well the 425 made 180hp and alot of torque I think 300

I think the fuel injected one was tbi and 195hp

Well

That was not relavent sorry I'm loaded.

MerryChristmas

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

Be a Capitalist or work for one.

IPB Image

Work for a Capitalist or be one.

MerryChristmas

Archived