CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

headlight nearly fell out!

nigel

whilst driving today quite a few people flashed their lights at me at various points of my journey. i kept thinking there was a speed trap somewhere and watched my speed.

when i got home and parked up i noticed that one of my headlight units was hanging out of the car.

i lifted the bonnet (in the UK it's a bonnet, not a hood, ok) and removed the plastic cover across the front of the car.

the headlight unit is held in place with 2 bolts and a locating lug behind the direction light. the inner bolt was fine and so was the outer bolt. what wasn't fine was the fact that the headlight unit is bolted in through 2 pieces of plastic that form part of the light unit. the outer piece of plastic had snapped right through and while i was driving the light had pivotted on the inner bolt and swung right out from the wing (ok, fender).

all the while i was driving the light had been swinging backwards and forwards and had started to rub on the a/c condenser.

i fixed it by putting a penny washer under the fixing bolt and clamping what was left of the plastic strap to the metalwork.

i just can't believe that cadillac was so cheap that they had to use plastic to hold the light in.

edit is spelling

whilst driving today quite a few people flashed their lights at me at various points of my journey. i kept thinking there was a speed trap somewhere and watched my speed.

when i got home and parked up i noticed that one of my headlight units was hanging out of the car.

i lifted the bonnet (in the UK it's a bonnet, not a hood, ok) and removed the plastic cover across the front of the car.

the headlight unit is held in place with 2 bolts and a locating lug behind the direction light. the inner bolt was fine and so was the outer bolt. what wasn't fine was the fact that the headlight unit is bolted in through 2 pieces of plastic that form part of the light unit. the outer piece of plastic had snapped right through and while i was driving the light had pivotted on the inner bolt and swung right out from the wing (ok, fender).

all the while i was driving the light had been swinging backwards and forwards and had started to rub on the a/c condenser.

i fixed it by putting a penny washer under the fixing bolt and clamping what was left of the plastic strap to the metalwork.

i just can't believe that cadillac was so cheap that they had to use plastic to hold the light in.

edit is spelling

Thanks for the translation into American. :lol: While we Americans say we speak English, the fact remains that we really speak a dialect of true English. Most Americans are in favor of making English our official language; however, true English, as you know obviously, would mean we would have to start spelling the word "judgment," for example, as judgement, and say "whilst" instead of "while," and we would have to substitute “ize” for “ise,” etc. The American dialect was created by Noah Webster in 1828 (Webster’s Dictionary), who wanted to deviate somewhat from true English. Actually, correct me if I'm wrong but the English language has about 6000 words that originate from French. All words ending in "tion", "sion", for example, are French in origin?

Anyway, I think your experience with the headlight is pretty rare. I have never heard of anything like that happening. Maybe there was some kind of defect in the plastic casting? Pretty much everything is made of plastic these days.

Thanks for the translation into American. :lol: . . . . The American dialect was created by Noah Webster in 1828 (Webster’s Dictionary), who wanted to deviate somewhat from true English. Actually, correct me if I'm wrong but the English language has about 6000 words that originate from French. All words ending in "tion", "sion", for example, are French in origin?

I seek correction as well . . . . wasn't it Sir Winston who remarked (I'm paraphrasing) that the U.S. and England are two countries separated by a common language?

I've also been lead to believe that the French are rather sensitive to the "fact" that theirs is a rather "poor" language, having so many fewer words than English. N'est pas?

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Enough about correct language, Up here in Canada there is a two word phrase to fix just about anything......Duct Tape. Red Green knows all.

2001 STS Mettalic Otter Grey, Black Leather, 213,000 kilometers - miles - ? Still running strong!

My goodnes Mac. That is one good lookin ride. What do you do your windows with? For a 94 look through clear glass thingy look..that is the best I have seen. ????

2001 STS Mettalic Otter Grey, Black Leather, 213,000 kilometers - miles - ? Still running strong!

My goodnes Mac. That is one good lookin ride. What do you do your windows with? For a 94 look through clear glass thingy look..that is the best I have seen. ????

I second that!

Big Jay

Life is too short to grow up!

I may mention that someone perhaps tried to steal your headlight. Thats a big problem here in NY, Are you positive it wasnt loose before you started driving? And from what Ive seen Most headlights nowadays are mounted on plastic, not metal.

Archived