CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

96 STS traction control issues

canadian95sts

Im having some really fun issues with my traction control and abs lights coming on on the dash. it began the other day when i started my car, the traction light came on. I went in and got a code T0023. Right front wheel speed sensor. i cleared the code and all was well.

for the next day or so everytime i started the car that was my routine. Then while driving one day, both the traction and ABS lights came on and stayed on. I got the codes t0023, t0072, t0073. If i clear the codes the lights still stay on, but the dic says there are no tcs codes present, even while the lightds are still on.

Now if i disconnect the battery for about an hour or so, the lights all disappear and all is well for a day or so, until the whole cycle starts repeating itself again, in the exact same way, starting with the traction light coming on and having to be cleared after i start the car everytime. then the traction and ABS light... ETC.

now this is what i have done so far:

disconnected the EBTCM data cable and cleaned both ends, this worked for a few days.

disconnected the right front wheel speed sensor and cleaned the terminals on both ends, again, this worked for a few days as well.

The thing i dont understand, if my ebtcm was failing, would it not trip the lights and codes all the time? the right front wheel speed sensor is just over a year old!?! could it be gone already?

since im off work for the entire week, im gonna play around with it until i get it figured out. just thought id throw this one to the board and hopefully get some ideas bouncing around.

Thanks in advance,

Matt

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "darn...that was fun!"

www.madd.ca

Im having some really fun issues with my traction control and abs lights coming on on the dash. it began the other day when i started my car, the traction light came on. I went in and got a code T0023. Right front wheel speed sensor. i cleared the code and all was well.

for the next day or so everytime i started the car that was my routine. Then while driving one day, both the traction and ABS lights came on and stayed on. I got the codes t0023, t0072, t0073. If i clear the codes the lights still stay on, but the dic says there are no tcs codes present, even while the lightds are still on.

Now if i disconnect the battery for about an hour or so, the lights all disappear and all is well for a day or so, until the whole cycle starts repeating itself again, in the exact same way, starting with the traction light coming on and having to be cleared after i start the car everytime. then the traction and ABS light... ETC.

now this is what i have done so far:

disconnected the EBTCM data cable and cleaned both ends, this worked for a few days.

disconnected the right front wheel speed sensor and cleaned the terminals on both ends, again, this worked for a few days as well.

The thing i dont understand, if my ebtcm was failing, would it not trip the lights and codes all the time? the right front wheel speed sensor is just over a year old!?! could it be gone already?

since im off work for the entire week, im gonna play around with it until i get it figured out. just thought id throw this one to the board and hopefully get some ideas bouncing around.

Thanks in advance,

Matt

I had thes issues also, but I had a slightly leaking brake caliper, so if the fluid level dropped a little these lights would come on and stay on, but when I added brake fluid (it wouldn't be much) the lights would then go out. It may be something this simple, and easy enough to give a shot.

Good Luck!

i bought some electrical contact cleaner today, and im gonna unplug the connector at the wheel speed sensor and try and clean the connection, see if that helps at all.

hopefully it's as simple as that, if not time for another new wheel bearing, just for the speed sensor, why couldnt they make the sensor replaceable on these things!!!!! :angry:

Matt

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "darn...that was fun!"

www.madd.ca

They make more money in parts this way....LOL

Big Jay :P

Life is too short to grow up!

this is kinda strange, but in between rainstorms tonight, i went into the tcs data in the car, and looked at all the wheel speed sensor values. when the car is not moving, they all read 1, but when i drive the car three of them will read very close to the actual vehicle speed, but the right front will still read 1. the only diagnostic chart i can find is for when a wheel speed sensor is suspected as being bad, they say it will read a value of 0? does this mean the sensor is still good?

Also, if when the car is not moving and they all read a value of 1, why would the code set for a right front sensor?, they all read the same value??

this is starting to drive me crazy

Matt

www.madd.ca

Matt.

A bottle of "kingsford" starter fluid, and a match will fix er up good!

LOL. :lol:

Big Jay

Life is too short to grow up!

Archived