CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Somone keyed my hood :( Any tips for fixing her up?

AaronM

Hey,

Someone decided to leave two 2ft scratches on the hood of my car :( . They don't seem too deep. I can't rub it out with a cloth though. Any tips on fixing her back up? The paint color is black. I was thinking of getting some rubbing compound and polishing compound and see what I can do. I just don't see why people enjoy keying cars. Oh well, what can you do.

Thanks!

Aaron B)

18 Year Old Male

Black 1992 STS 4.9L

90,XXX Miles

Flowmaster 80 series muffler :D

I just don't see why people enjoy keying cars.

Because some people are just mean, rotten and pathetic.

I'm no expert at touch-up but this is what I would probably do. If the scratches were too deep to buff I would tape along the edge of the scratches with painter’s tape and apply a thin layer of touch-up paint. I would first use 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper and level the touch-up using light pressure and water. Then I would buff it with polishing compound. There is also polishing paper (finer than 600 grit) which can be used with water.

Also, you might want to check Wal-Mart for the colored polish, which is suppose to fill scratches. I've never used it so I don't know if it works.

You might ask your insurance agent if a re-paint job on your hood would be covered under your comprehensive coverage. I don't know if it would be but it's worth a phone call to find out.

Failing that, I think mac is on the right track. There is finer sandpaper than 600 grit, though. I have some 1500 and 2000 grit sandpaper that I found at Pep Boys. Pep Boys also caries Dupli-color touch-up paint. It now comes in a bottle with a two way cap. There's the regular brush inside but there's also a ball point pen type applicator that gives you very precise control of the paint. You can fill a scratch, especially on a horizontal surface, without glopping it all over the place.

I 've had pretty good luck with the following procedure: Using the ball point applicator, fill the scratch with paint. Let it dry for a couple of hours so it's pretty well set up but not rock hard. Take a piece of card stock (like the back piece of a paper tablet) and wet it with laquer thinner so it's wet but not dripping. Use it to polish away the excess paint on the surface. The card stock is stiff enough that it will remove the touch up paint that is above the original paint surface but it won't dig the paint out of the scratch. After a day or two, when the touch-up paint is rock hard, give the whole area a good polishing. This should give you a pretty good repair. You're lucky because black is a pretty easy color to match!

Good luck.

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

Some info here: http://www.properautocare.com/byhand.html

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Thank you for the replies! I don't have comprehensive insurance, so that is out the door :rolleyes:. I am going to re-examine the scratch today. I'll try the ballpoint applicator process and see what happens. Thanks again for the help! I'll post the results I get.

-Aaron B)

18 Year Old Male

Black 1992 STS 4.9L

90,XXX Miles

Flowmaster 80 series muffler :D

Archived