CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Radio Inputs?!?

Fretbuzz470

I just picked up my first Cadillac last Tuesday. A 2000 STS and can't believe that I ever drove a car that was not a Cadillac before. I was going over all the bells and wistles this car had to offer and I came across some audio and video inputs on the left hand side of the inside of the glovebox. My vehicle has the Bose/Navigation system w/ the 6 disc changer. The question I have is that I can't find any buttons, menus, or documentation as how to use these inputs (are they just bogus inputs ?) I would like to use them to direct hook up either an iPod or later on even a DVD player for my children. If anyone has a clue or can point me in the right direction that would be great as I would realy rather buy a $5 patch cable than a $60 FM modulator and get worse sound for my iPod. I looked over this group and there seems to be some very knowlegable people here so I thought I would join along w/ any help I might be able to contribute w/ my 15 years as an auto technician. I look forward to any help offered and the chance to be able to help others with my automotive skills and as my Cadillac knowlege increases as well!!! Take care all and thanx for your time in advance.

Jay

I just looked through the Service Information and found a description of your system. I don't see an AUX input:

Radio/Audio System Circuit Description exc UY4

Entertainment System

The Entertainment System is controlled by several modules. The radio (IRC) is the radio head, containing the tape and single-disc compact disc (CD) player. The radio amplifier provides the power to drive several speakers. The antenna module controls the selection of the front and rear windshield antennas, and amplifies the resulting signal (FM mode). The CD changer (optional) is controlled by the radio, and sends its output to the radio amplifier. The dash integration module (DIM) controls the function of the steering wheel controls. The radio amplifier also allows cellular telephone (if equipped) audio to be played through the speakers, if desired. These modules are linked in several ways. The radio, radio amplifier, DIM and cellular telephone module exchange operating information via Class 2 serial data. The CD changer and the radio exchange operating information via a dedicated E and C serial data line. Audio, antenna, interior light level and other signals are transmitted via dedicated circuits.

When the door is opened, one vehicle module, the DIM, is alerted, and sends out a wake-up message via Class 2 to the other modules. The radio and radio amplifier respond by turning on some portion of their functionality, regardless of ignition switch state or whether the radio is turned on or off. At some point, the chime function is requested via Class 2 serial data line. The radio responds by generating a chime signal, and sending it to the radio amplifier, which amplifies the signal and sends it to the left front speaker. When the radio is turned on, it sends a voltage to the antenna module, allowing the antenna module to turn on. If the radio is in AM mode, the radio antenna input is connected directly to the rear antenna (located in the back glass) only. If FM is selected, an additional enable signal is sent to the antenna module. This signal consists of two components: a DC status signal and the varying signal used by the radio. The antenna module responds by turning on the antenna module internal radio amplifier, and selecting between the front and rear antennas, depending on which is providing better reception. (This selection is determined by the signal strength being reported by the radio.) The signal is then amplified and sent to the radio. The radio amplifier always provides at least 10 dB of signal gain.

The radio uses the antenna input signal to create a stereo audio output signal, which is sent at the user-defined volume level to the radio amplifier. The radio amplifier amplifies the signal and sends it to the appropriate speakers. Tone, balance and fade information is sent by the radio via Class 2 serial data line and is received by the radio amplifier. Additional output processing is provided by the noise-canceling microphone. The microphone monitors interior ambient noise, and allows the radio amplifier to modify its output so that an enjoyable signal is always heard.

Some audio functions are available using the steering wheel controls. When a steering wheel control button is pressed, a specific resistance value is noted by the DIM. This results in a generated voltage, unique to the particular button. The DIM alerts the radio that the button has been pressed, and the radio responds, just as if the corresponding radio front panel button had been pressed. The tape player, as well as the in-dash CD player, disable the radio tuner and provide their output to the radio amplifier through the same circuitry as the tuner. The CD changer, if equipped, communicates with the radio via a dedicated E and C serial data line. When CD changer operation is selected, a message is sent to disable the radio output. The changer then sends its output directly to the radio amplifier, using a dedicated radio amplifier input circuit completely independent of the radio input to the radio amplifier. When equipped with a cellular telephone, the radio signal may be muted, allowing the telephone audio signal to be heard through the speakers.

Radio (IRC)

The radio is the radio unit seen in the instrument panel of the vehicle, and contains the tape player and the in-dash CD player. The radio receives inputs from Class 2 serial data (power mode, date/time, personalization, chime request, etc.), from the antenna module, and from the interior light dimming circuit. The radio provides output to the radio amplifier (audio, equalization, volume), to the antenna module (power, enable command, signal strength), and to the CD changer (operating commands). The radio uses its input information to generate an output signal which is sent to the radio amplifier. The front panel radio controls can be divided into two groups. Volume and equalization information is created when the volume, balance, fade and tone controls are adjusted. This information is sent to the radio amplifier via Class 2 message, where the equalization is performed. The other front panel button instructions are processed in the radio itself. (Exception: if equipped with a CD changer, operating instructions are transmitted to the changer, where they are performed.) The scan tool has the capability of monitoring the radio switch states, and displaying them. However, checking for proper switch operation does not guarantee that the function is working properly, but only that it is getting the proper command from the switch.

Tape Player

The tape player is an integral part of the radio, and has few specific service operations. Therefore, a tape player fault will usually result in replacement of the radio.

Compact Disc (CD) Changer

The optional CD changer is located in the IP compartment. The CD changer receives its operating instructions via dedicated data line from the radio. The radio amplifier receives the CD changer audio information through two dedicated audio lines, and dedicated radio amplifier input circuitry.

Antenna System

The antenna circuit consists of the antenna input of the radio, the antenna module, the COAX signal line between them, the rear window antenna, the front windshield antenna, and two control lines between the radio and the antenna module. When the radio is on, power is sent to the antenna module from the radio. In AM band, the antenna module connects the rear window antenna directly to the radio. When FM band is selected, a DC enable signal is sent from the radio to the antenna module. Superimposed on this enable signal is the strength of the signal being received by the radio tuner. The antenna module now performs two functions. It switches between the front and rear antennas, monitoring the radio signal strength to assure optimum operation. It also amplifies this optimized signal by 10 dB.

The radio antennas are two metallic appliques on the top of the windshield, and the top of the back window. These appliques are subject to damage when handled carelessly. If an antenna is damaged, that is, the metallic trace is cut causing an open circuit, the glass must be replaced.

Radio/Radio Amplifier Output

Audio signals are provided to the radio amplifier through three sets of inputs. The radio generates a chime signal and sends it via the chime data line whenever a chime is commanded via Class 2. Radio, tape player and in-dash CD player signals are sent from the radio via a pair of shielded audio lines. Output from the CD changer is sent via another pair of shielded audio lines. Accordingly, the radio amplifier has three separate input circuits. The radio amplifier processes these input signals, according to the equalization instructions sent from the radio via Class 2, amplifies them, and sends them out to the appropriate speakers.

Speakers

The standard (UX8), and Bose (U57) audio systems each contain eight speakers. In the UX8 system, four speakers are contained in the doors. The doors each contain a full-range speaker. The A pillars each contain a tweeter and the rear package shelf contains a subwoofer speaker with two voice coils. The left door speakers, the left A pillar speaker, and the left subwoofer voice coil, are driven by the left channel audio circuitry. The right door speakers, the right A pillar speaker, and the right subwoofer voice coil, are driven by the right channel audio circuitry. The dash-mounted center instrument panel midrange speaker is driven by an output signal synthesized from the right and left signals. The Bose system (U57) is similar, except the subwoofer has only one voice coil. One channel (right or left) consists of low-power amplification in the radio of signals generated in the tuner, tape player, or in-dash CD player circuits. These signals are sent by the radio via dedicated audio lines to the radio amplifier. The radio amplifier processes the signal (volume, tone, balance, fade) and provides the final power amplification that drives the speakers. If equipped with a CD changer, the CD changer circuit contains low power amplification and audio lines, similar to those in the radio. The CD outputs are connected to unique, separate input circuits in the radio amplifier, which process the CD signals in the same way as the radio signals are processed by their circuitry. Both of these sets of low-power circuitry feed one common set of output circuits, which provide power to the speakers.

Noise Canceling Microphone

The Bose (U57) audio systems contain a circuit which senses, and compensates for, ambient noise in the vehicle interior. The circuit consists of a microphone, which is located in the upper center headliner above the windshield, an input circuit in the radio amplifier, and the associated wiring. When noise is detected by the microphone, the radio amplifier increases the audio system volume by a proportional amount. The noise canceling circuit may be shut OFF, by turning the AVC OFF using the front panel level control button.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

2000 Cadillac Radio/Amp schematic:

IPB Image

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

This is your owner's manual, go to page 3-11 for a description of the available radio systems. i don't see an AUX input. I think those inputs you see are for a CD changer possibly. you might try using them for an IPOD with CD CHANGER on SOURCE if you can do that... Mike

https://www.mygmlink.com/pdf/go2content/man...2000deville.pdf

Ok I don't know if this will help any or not but the first pic is of the touchscreen for the navigation/ radio. I already have the stock 6 disc in the center councel.

IPB Image

The next pic is of the RCA inputs in my glove box. Im just wondering if tricky ol' Cadillac doesn't have some goofy hold down these two buttons while hopping on one foot and huming happy birthday to access the ability to use them LOL!!!

IPB Image

Otherwise I will have to rifle through Mitchell on Demand at work tomarow. I found them this weekend and have off Mondays so havent had a chance to look yet

They refer to a remote CD Changer in the DASH STORAGE COMPARTMENT. I would think that you could plug your IPOD into those audio inputs and call up that input on SOURCE, have you tried that?

Remote CD Changer Replacement

Removal Procedure

Open the instrument panel storage compartment door.

Remove the 2 fasteners (3) from the CD changer bracket.

Partially remove the CD changer (2) and the bracket in order to access the electrical connector (1).

Disconnect the electrical connection (1).

Remove the CD changer and the bracket (2) from the vehicle.

Remove the 4 fasteners (1) from the CD changer bracket to the CD changer.

Remove the CD changer bracket (2) from the CD changer (3).

Installation Procedure

Notice

Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

Secure the CD changer bracket (2) to CD changer (3) with the 4 fasteners (1). Tighten

Tighten the fasteners to 2 N·m (17.5 lb in).

Partially install the CD changer (2).

Connect the electrical connection (1).

Insert the CD changer and bracket assembly (2) into the instrument panel storage compartment .

Install the 2 fasteners (3). Tighten

Tighten the fasteners to 2 N·m (17.5 lb in).

Close the instrument panel storage compartment.

I will definately have to play around w/ that idea a bit more. Maby I need to have the input device already pluged in before I turn the key on for it to recognise a device there. I tried using my camcorder the other night w/ the a/v patch cords but only played around for like 15 minutes. I didn't have the patch cord for the iPod yet as I had just found it under the passenger seat while cleaning the car head to toe earlier that afternoon. Thanx for all your help and advice so far. When I figure this thing out I will definately post my findings or falures LOL!!!

IPB Image

Jay check this link. I remembered I had it saved on my desktop and this potentially might be what you are looking for.

Especially see this product PER-PXGM24 :

2000-2003 GM Vehicles with Class-2 Data-bus (RDS) radios. Connects to 24 pin radio harness. Provides two pairs of adjustable stereo inputs. Simple plug and play interface. Inputs selectable and displayed through factory radio.

You will also notice there is an IPOD input link at the top. Under LOOK UP YOUR CAR, but your car in there, they will show you what is compatible with your system...

http://www.installer.com/cars/cadillac.html

Mike

Archived