CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

96 STS Wiring Harness

Webmast84

I'm changing out the transmission on my 96 STS. I'm almost positioned to pull the engine out but I was wondering what the best way to deal with the main wiring harness to the engine. Is there a way to dissconnect it at the fire wall or do you have to dissconnect every wire to get the engine out?

There is a connector, C106, with 14 wires, at the LH front of the transmission. That's where you disconnect everything. Be careful with this connector -- it is weatherproof and if you damage it you can have problems in wet weather or winter salt. You can use a jumper harness, special tool number J39775, to extend the cable and give you access to the wires for testing.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Well I see where that comes from. But there are a bunch of wires that connect to the engine above the tranny and that's what is my cause for concern. We removed a lot more stuff from the car today and the wiring harness is our last problem is seems.

I'm looking at the 1997 FSM, page 7-200, in the section where it tells how to pull the transmission. Step 31 is to "remove the electrical harness and connnector from the front of the frame" which I don't think is the transmission wiring harness. Step 42 says to remove three transmission connectors and the VSS connector. The schematic on pages 7-66 and 7-67 show connector C106 as having just about everything except the VSS, which has its own pair of wires to the PCM (yellow and purple). At least one of the connectors is the big C106 connector. The VSS is on the top of the right half-axle. I don't see the other two wires. I'm at a loss with just the FSM. Anyone else with hands-on experience?

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived