CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Removing Existing Badges

Poobah

I plan to update the rear deck emblem on my 2000 Deville to the new design. What is the best way to remove the old emblem and all the existing adhesive without damaging the paint?

Thanks in advance,

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

I seem to recall this question before and the answer was to use a piece of fishing line or tooth floss and kind of saw the adhesive underneath it. The remaining adhesive can be removed with "Goo Gone", lighter fluid, keroseen, WD40 to name a few.

All the above work just fine. I replaced the emblems on my Concours about 3 years ago and used the fishing line technique for removal. Then used Goo Gone to remove the excess glue. Polished up just fine. Then added the new emblems. One word of caution though, if you are putting the new emblems back in the same spots, be sure to mark their location before removing the old ones!

--Brad

Brad

----------------------------

1999 Deville Concours [sOLD]

Blk/Blk w/gold package

If you have a Factory Service Manual, there is a very complete description of exactly where the emblems go also... it's deep in the body section.....

This is a good thread though... thanks. I was going to replace one of my emblems, but was afraid to try taking it off.... now I know!

I used dental floss...... and it worked fine! Broke a few pieces, but eventually got it....

A little lighter fluid (naptha) took off the minimal remains of the adhesive completely.....

Worked great! Thanks for the tip....

I personall used the lighter fluid.

I tried goo gone and it didn't work.

I initially used a heat gun to rmove the badges.

Big Jay

Life is too short to grow up!

Archived