CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Voltage Reading

KG6PSK

Just got my baby back from the dealer. Starter and steering wheel position sensor changed out under warranty. Oil change, lube, coolant flush, and alignment. All is well and she's right at 66K miles.

Now my question is this. When I flip thru the dash readout (DIC?), the voltage reading is right around 14.3 volts and once was as high as 14.9. That seems a bit high for a 12 volt system, and has been that way more or less since I bought the car. Is this normal? Is there anything I should be concerned about?

Mark

Sounds normal. I'm anywhere between 12.4 to 14.5 on my '97. My friend's 2003 STS usually reads between 13.5 to 14.8. I have no idea why higher, but that's 'normal.'

At idle with headlamps on, foot on brake, and rear defroster on, I've seen it go as low as 12.2, and once back on the gas, it shoots up to 13.5-ish.

I've seen the 14s usually just after starting, and then it comes down quickly.

And for 'odd', when I go WOT, the voltage drops into the low 12's FAST, and then back up to high 12s once I'm off the gas. Confuses me since the alt would be spinning faster at WOT, but I don't ask why :blink:

Just patterns I've noticed!

Archived