CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

93 Deville rough idle

93 Sedan

Dear Caddy repair guru's,

93 Sedan DeVille with 130k. Over the past month, I have experienced rough idling and chugging on aceleration. I started the trouble shooting process as possible H2O in the gas tank and added in drygas. No luck. A few days later when tank was empty, I added in a quality fuel injector. No luck.

As a disciple of keeping my GM car all GM, I changed the fuel filter, distrib and rotor, plugs/wires all with AC Delco. I also cleaned the throttle body tubes. You know the story...No luck.

On the positive side, my tinkering (as the bride calls it) has reduced the rough idle and chugging and now it only happens intermittently, I.E., during the same car ride, I'll get the rough idling / acceleration and then other times I'll get none of the aforementioned symptoms (praying it will stay this way and all will be well).

No codes are being thrown. What could it be? What next?

Looking forward to all the comments/recommendations.

Did you change the distributor cap? Have you checked the FPR for leaks?

Larry,

Thanks for the response.

I did replace the distributor cap and noticed no cracks, etc... in the old one.

To determine if the FPR is leaking...would I see/smell gas? Could it be a computer that needs replacing?

My thought is by troubleshooting potential culprits (my being a Saturday afternoon mechanic) the upside will be the normal tune-up items will be done when resolved. The problem is I am out of things I can confidently do myself (dare I venture into the unknown on a Saturday before a long weekend with no one to correct my boo-boos).

To determine if the FPR is leaking...would I see/smell gas? Could it be a computer that needs replacing?

Yes, when you pull the hose off the end and you pressurize the fuel system by turning on the key and if gas is coming out it needs changed. It doesn't always show itself though.

I would check the body grounds and the battery for a good connection and corrosion. You could pull the PCM down to where you could tap it when it acted up to see if that has an effect. Pcm connection could be corroded also.

Archived