CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1 ton dually vs eldo

my uncle bought a brand new GMC 1 ton dually. he put a perormance chip, i think a 5 inch exhaust and a cold air intake called the attitude box, and he put a lift in it that fits 35 inch super swampers. its a big heavy truck. he was talkin all big saying that it could probably keep up with my etc , naturally i was like "yeah whatever". we were driving down the road he was infront, we never did race off the line so i dont know what would happen there but at about 80 kilometers an hour we both put it to the floor and the prick pulled away from me and continued to pull away untill he reached about 140kms/hr. i know some wont believe it untill you see it but i promise it happened.

when i get a chance i will try and race him off the line just to see if i can at leasat get him off the line. i will let you know the results and maybe a picture ,unless know one is interested of course

I traded straight across - a 95 1 ton dually long bed, 4 door school bus with wide hips (gas, 7mpg) 110k for my 94 Deville...27-29mpg 84k and feel like I got the better deal!

I could never afford to race that big ol' truck and as it was, I wish I was 18 with daddy's money when I was driving it...

I would be interested in knowing how fast he was dumping his fuel... :blink:

Yeah, these new Fords and Dodges can really run! I have a business associate that designs and builds custom transmission controllers for a customer that designs and builds custom transmissions for the Fords and Dodges.

They have a Dodge 3500 with the Duramax that runs the 1/4 in the very low 5's!!!!! Believe it or not! This thing will put fear into your heart!!!! It doesn't sound realistic, but it can be done. The engine is nearly stock. It's all a custom tranny, torque converter and the tranny controller. These times are also at 5280 feet! Imagine what this beast will do at sea level when it can really breathe... If anyone is looking for a nice Dodge or Ford tranny that can haul, I can put you in touch with the group whom are based out of Denver.

It's really disappointing when something like a big pickup can take on a Caddy without breaking a sweat, but think about it in the hey-days of the 50's, 60's and 70's those 4-5000 pound Cads with 500 cubes would haul too! And they still do! My associate has a '59 sedan that amazes half of those Japanese burners out there with turbos, chips and 10 grand in mods. Seeing their jaws hit the pavement is a beautiful sight!!! Just beware if you are going up against those newer Dodges!

It's those diesel engines I tell ya. I really love diesel engines, especially with some easy mods to them. Dad had a '00 Powerstroke Ford and we put a Banks Powerpack on it (4" exhaust, new downpipe) and a Banks chip. That thing would hit 26 psi fully loaded, but man would it pull like no tomorrow. I towed an '87 Buick Regal with a full car transport trailer with that F-550 and I couldn't even feel it. It'd pull big grades at 70 mph, passing cars that could barely make the hill. They had it to pull a 26,000 lb. 5th wheel RV trailer. It pulled it great, but they were right on the fence of being legal (they were very close to the Gross Combined Weight Rating), so they traded it in favor of an F-650 with a Cat 3026B engine. But that Powerstroke was such a strong engine.

I bet the GMC in question here has the Duramax diesel. That's a 6.6L (I think) DOHC turbo-charged engine. That's serious equipment. You can really get big gains on a turbo engine with a performance chip because in the case of a turbo engine, the chip really CAN alter the airflow (by controlling the wastegate)...unlike on gasoline engines. They claim 100 hp and 200 lb*ft of torque GAINED by using some chips. Combine that with a bigger airbox and freer exhaust and you really have a combo that'll haul. He might have 450 hp and 600 lb*ft of torque in that GMC!

As with everything, speed is money. Your Caddy's probably paid for, and he's got a big time truck payment, plus a few thousand dollars' worth of mods on top of that. Put that same dough into your car and you'd wipe the road with him in any performance contest.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

It's those diesel engines I tell ya. I really love diesel engines, especially with some easy mods to them. Dad had a '00 Powerstroke Ford and we put a Banks Powerpack on it (4" exhaust, new downpipe) and a Banks chip. That thing would hit 26 psi fully loaded, but man would it pull like no tomorrow. I towed an '87 Buick Regal with a full car transport trailer with that F-550 and I couldn't even feel it. It'd pull big grades at 70 mph, passing cars that could barely make the hill. They had it to pull a 26,000 lb. 5th wheel RV trailer. It pulled it great, but they were right on the fence of being legal (they were very close to the Gross Combined Weight Rating), so they traded it in favor of an F-650 with a Cat 3026B engine. But that Powerstroke was such a strong engine.

I bet the GMC in question here has the Duramax diesel. That's a 6.6L (I think) DOHC turbo-charged engine. That's serious equipment. You can really get big gains on a turbo engine with a performance chip because in the case of a turbo engine, the chip really CAN alter the airflow (by controlling the wastegate)...unlike on gasoline engines. They claim 100 hp and 200 lb*ft of torque GAINED by using some chips. Combine that with a bigger airbox and freer exhaust and you really have a combo that'll haul. He might have 450 hp and 600 lb*ft of torque in that GMC!

As with everything, speed is money. Your Caddy's probably paid for, and he's got a big time truck payment, plus a few thousand dollars' worth of mods on top of that. Put that same dough into your car and you'd wipe the road with him in any performance contest.

There is a guy on the left coast who sells kits for the GM duramax that will more than double the torque you have now. Th get the insane kit you also need ot change the torque converter as well.... plus sign a drivetrain waiver so you can't say he didn't warn you ....

Cole........ TTS is the company I believe.

Dennis

You should be able to take him at speeds above 70mph as his brick-like aerodynamics and low gearing will start to work against him. If you can launch decently you should be able to take him off the line as most his power will just turn into tire smoke because of a truck's inherently horrible weight distribution and size. He will probably have you from 30-70mph though. You just have to be able to pick your races.

They have a Dodge 3500 with the Duramax that runs the 1/4 in the very low 5's!!!!! Believe it or not! This thing will put fear into your heart!!!! It doesn't sound realistic, but it can be done. The engine is nearly stock. It's all a custom tranny, torque converter and the tranny controller. These times are also at 5280 feet! Imagine what this beast will do at sea level when it can really breathe...

I think you must have your numbers wrong somewhere. That truck will not go that fast in a 1/4 mile. See below for a sample of the equipment necessary to achieve those high speeds.

You can also get an idea of the enormus fuel consumption to generate that kind of power.

-George

Top Fuel Dragster Specifications:

500 cu in Keith Black aluminum hemi engine

0 to 60 mph in 1/2 second

Fuel 98% NitroMethane

300 inch wheelbase

Over 5,000 horsepower

0 to 300 mph in under 5 seconds

15 gallons per 1/4 mile run

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

yeah it is the duramax deisel, witch i heard that it is actually made by mitsubishi, does any one know if that is a fact?

yeah the truck would not do good in a quarter mile , he did say he can only bring his truck up to about 140 kms or so because he is reved out around there, because those deisel do not rev that high, i am sure he could prob max out a little faster but then it would be *hit kickin it

140 KPH = 93 MPH; A Cadillac (particularly a Northstar :) ) isn't even breathing hard at that speed.

_George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

yeah it is the duramax deisel, witch i heard that it is actually made by mitsubishi, does any one know if that is a fact?

yeah the truck would not do good in a quarter mile , he did say he can only bring his truck up to about 140 kms or so because he is reved out around there, because those deisel do not rev that high, i am sure he could prob max out a little faster but then it would be *hit kickin it

The Duramax is co-produced by Isuzu, which has made diesel truck engines forever. I've never driven or ridden a Duramax truck, but I understand that it's a super engine that has a lot of potential. And with easy mods like chips and exhaust, you can REALLY get a good performance truck out of it.

As for that Dodge that did the 1/4 mile in 5 seconds, I bet he meant the 1/8 mile.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Archived