CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

ACDELCO Passive Struts

Yokie

I ordered the ACDELCO passive struts today from

https://www.rockauto.com

$170 including shipping. I used this link for the p/n

http://www.cravener.org/struts/Page0.htm.

I believe that I need two 10 to 12 ohm 25 to 50 watt resistors. I thought there was 3 conductors going to the struts. If there are 3 what ones do I use. Also has anyone found a way to bypass the wheel position sensors. The one I repaired last year seems to act up in cold weather. Its been awhile since I posted. Like the new format.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I installed the struts today and I'm very pleased with the results. I used 10 ohm 50 watt resistors and have no service ride control messages. Total cost was $172.00. These are OEM Delco struts and fit perfectly. Also I will be at Delphi next week and will ask the engineers if there is an easy way to bypass the wheel position sensors. My fronts are starting to give me errors and are I don't need them anymore. I will leave the rear ones on as I believe they control the height via the air shocks.

I developed a circuit to eliminate the front position sensors. It fools the computer in thinking the car is always on level ground.

Both my front position sensors have failed and both have the circuit installed for about three years now with no problems

If you are interested I will post the circuit diagram here with a description to install.

Barry

2008 STS V8
2016 Colorado Z71
1970 Corvette LT-1 Coupe

The 10 ohms worked for you? I heard that the earlier systems used a different monitoring system than the CVRSS. I am in contact with one person that said the 10 ohms work until they hit a rough road and then the system reports a shorted actuator. How many miles have you logged with this setup?

Both my front position sensors have failed on my '94. I simply will not give Cadillac

$500.00 each for $25.00 worth of sensors. So I "bypassed" the sensor to keep the

computer "happy"..

Each sensor has a "supply" voltage, usually 8V DC.

Each sensor has a ground wire.

Each sensor has a "signal" output back to the computer.

When the signal goes outside of it's operating range (Operating Range 0 - 5V), the computer

will report a fault with that sensor.

The front position sensors work on an output signal of 0 - 5V, where 2.5V is the "normal"

output for the sensor when you are driving normal on a flat road.

What you need to do is to provide a constant 2.5v voltage to the "signal" line of the sensor.

The computer will think you are driving on flat level road. (forever)

You do this by removing the sensor from the car and removing the clear "filler" that covers

the circuit card in the sensor. I used a sharpened popsicle stick. (Didn't want to destroy anything by using a metal object)

Expose the three wires entering the sensor.(On the front Position sensors, Purple=8V, Black=Ground, Orange=Signal back to the computer.

Cut them from the circuit.

Attach one end of a 220 Ohm 1/4 watt resistor to the Purple=8V wire.

Attach the other end of the resistor to the Orange=Signal wire.

Also attach a Zener Diode (2.5V rating) to the Orange=Signal wire, and the other end to Black=ground.

(Resistor & Zener Diode available from a electronics store, eg. Radio Shack)

This will provide a constant 2.5V reference to the computer.

(After you have tested it.)

Reseal the sensor with lots of RTV to provide a water/weather tight area of the repair.

The computer will never complain again about the sensor.

If you are looking for an "easy" fix, then perhaps this is not it.

It, however is a very inexpensive fix.

You do need a little understanding of soldering wires.

The ideal thing would be to acquire the male/female connectors that are on the sensor and build the

circuit in those. Then you simply could unplug the faulty sensor and plug this between the

existing harness and the faulty sensor.

You should be able to use this method to "fool" the computer on almost any of the RSS sensors.

This probably sounds like a complicated repair, however once you figure it out, it is

quite simple.

If you have questions, just let me know.

rss_sensor.jpg

2008 STS V8
2016 Colorado Z71
1970 Corvette LT-1 Coupe

Maydog, the 10 ohm are working. So far I only have 30 miles on them but I tried to find the worst roads around here and tried to hit all of the bumps I could to test the struts. I used the Dale power resistors with the gold color metal heat sinks.

Barry, I would really appreciate you posting the diagram to bypass the sensors.

Thanks

Barry, thanks for the info. I will remove the sensors and put the circuit at the connector up where I installed the resistors, behind the front inner fender well. I guess we could take this a step further if the rears go out. Install a resistor network switch or a variable resistor inline with the rear position sensors inputs to control the rear ride level. What do you think?

The 10 ohms worked for you? I heard that the earlier systems used a different monitoring system than the CVRSS. I am in contact with one person that said the 10 ohms work until they hit a rough road and then the system reports a shorted actuator. How many miles have you logged with this setup?

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe the 93 STS system is different from the 95 STS system. I was the fellow you were conversing with :)

There are also differences between different models of the same year, but I can't seem to recall which cars and which years had which system.

These were SSS, RSS, and CVRSS. Did I miss any other system?

Anyway, I can confirm that the resistor trick does not work on a 95 STS with RSS.

Can anyone confirm that it does?

Archived