CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

"Check Oil" warning...

Spurlee

All:

My 1996 El Dorado is constantly throwing the "Check Oil" warning to the DIC. I'm thinking the sending unit has gone bad.

Perhaps there had been a thread here on replacing the unit?

Thanks!

Scott

1996 El Dorado

2006 STS

2000 Corvette

Are we talking about the oil pressure warning lamp (the red oil can symbol) or the CHECK OIL LEVEL message at engine start???

Two different switches.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Are we talking about the oil pressure warning lamp (the red oil can symbol) or the CHECK OIL LEVEL message at engine start???

Two different switches.

Jim - I wasn't clear.

I almost always get the CHECK OIL LEVEL message at start. That's the switch I believe is faulty and want to locate and replace. (I occasionally get the Red oil can symbol, but that's due to an older engine and very hot oil - it's over 100 degrees here now - which thins out a bit).

Thanks

Scott

1996 El Dorado

2006 STS

2000 Corvette

The oil level float switch assembly should be sticking through the RF corner of the oil pan. No idea of the part # but some folks have used a RockAuto part.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Yeah, and one wierd thing I learned about the switch on my 99 Silverado, is that the COOLANT TEMPERATURE must fall below some low figure (like 70°F) before it resets itself, regardless of the oil level.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Archived