CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Water Pump Going

Scotty

Hi, my 96 Deville has been running terrific, took it on a 425 mile day trip over the weekend and it was a pleasure.

Yesterday, I pulled into a parking lot and while waiting for my ticket I hear an ODD rotating noise, sort of a hollow sound. I turned the engine off and restarted it and it was gone. I looked and I was at 212 degrees, and for the remainder of the day I was running between 206 and 208 which is slightly high considering it was 32 degrees here. When I got home I could see coolant in the tank so I assumed that my level was fine. The water pump belt was replaced about 5,000 miles ago, ANY IDEAS as to why it is running slightly higher temps and what the noise was? Thanks, Mike

By the way, while I know 206 to 208 is NOT unusually hot, it is hotter than my normal running temp especially at 60 MPH, when its usually 199 to 203, any ideas appreciated, I am not comfortable with this engine yet, need to buy manual, Mike

Mike, suggest checking the water pump tensioner and drive belt. There's really nothing to "go bad" in the water pump, and certainly nothing that would make the engine run warmer. It's either turning or it isn't. In your case, the tensioner may have stuck a little bit and isn't putting full tension on the belt to drive the water pump pulley...which would mean it's not turning fast enough to properly circulate the coolant.

Suggest removing the tensioner, regrease the small bearing (I've done this myself) and replacing the drive belt with a new Dayco Polycog (or equivalent).

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Mike I don't think there is anything wrong at all. Mine usually runs 210-213 degrees, even in zero degree weather. Just takes a little longer to get up there in those tempuratures.

I don't think you should worry, either. Mine typically runs 193-198 degrees F., but sometimes creeps up to 203-207 deg. F, for no apparent reason, with no sigbnificant changes in exterior temperature conditions. In fact, I am surprised how consistent the engine temperature remains under significant exterior temperature swings. I would start looking if it creeps above the 220 deg. F range, if you are using an OEM thermostat.

Thanks for all the help guys, that makes me feel better. I am going to check the water pump tensioner/idler wheel this weekend however I did not like the sound that came out of the area. Thanks again, Mike

Thanks for all the help guys, that makes me feel better. I am going to check the water pump tensioner/idler wheel this weekend however I did not like the sound that came out of the area. Thanks again, Mike

Mr.. Scott....Before we get into the exotic, esoteric engineering aspects of our power source, did you check the fundamentals...matter/anti matter injectors getting clogged ? How about the warp coil cooling towers...you know how touchy they can get... B)

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

Mr.. Scott....Before we get into the exotic, esoteric engineering aspects of our power source, did you check the fundamentals...matter/anti matter injectors getting clogged ? How about the warp coil cooling towers...you know how touchy they can get... B)

Bob,

You need a good re-hab center recommendation ???

If the pump is not leaking, I would say it's not bad. Check the idler ...most cases belt is slipping or idler is warn and causing noise. The temp is fine between 203-208, noise is the issue ;) check idler bearing and pump bearing :rolleyes:

Lou

94 Seville STS

Thanks for all the help guys, that makes me feel better.  I am going to check the water pump tensioner/idler wheel this weekend however I did not like the sound that came out of the area.  Thanks again, Mike

Allllllllllllllllllllllllllllll................. righty..................................then

Dennis

Aye Bob, she seems to have settled down, it was probably a temporal anomoly. I am always giving her all I got, I don't understand it! I will have a look at those cooling tower however! lol, Scotty

Allllllllllllllllllllllllllllll................. righty..................................then

ROFL!!! I miss this place when I don't visit! For some UNKNOWN reason she has returned to normal operating temps, I am going to replace all of the idler/tensioner wheels as soon as I can, she whines a bit, Thanks guys

Aye Bob, she seems to have settled down, it was probably a temporal anomoly. I am always giving her all I got, I don't understand it! I will have a look at those cooling tower however! lol, Scotty

Why Mr Scott, welcome back!! I was beginning to think you were lost in a sub space rift on the way back from that engineering conferance on DS-11.. ;)

Yep, there were a few newbies here that were thinking I had 'spilt my BB's'.. :blink:

Happy to hear that everything is operating within normal parameters.. B)

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

Why Mr Scott, welcome back!! I was beginning to think you were lost in a sub space rift on the way back from that engineering conferance on DS-11.. ;)

Yep, there were a few newbies here that were thinking I had 'spilt my BB's'.. :blink:

Happy to hear that everything is operating within normal parameters.. B)

Thanks Bob!

Archived