CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

I'm stumped

Astrak

I have been trying to figure out how to fix a couple of codes that I am getting. They are I034 and E047 history, when the codes are current I get NO ECM DATA and I034 CURRENT. I have checked and cleaned the grounds at the chassis the alternator and the starter and all are clean I have also replaced the battery. I thought it could be an alternator problem but I removed the alternator and had it tested and it is fine. So now I am stumped, the only thing I can think of is a bad ECM but what can really go wrong with those? So does anyone have any suggestions?

The PCM seems to be saying that it can't give you any codes because it can't get the data. It's a PCM problem. If you have a voltmeter, you might look at the voltage at the cigarette lighter and see if it agrees with your computer's display of battery voltage. Put the meter on AC mode and see if there is a lot of ripple (more than 0.2 volts or so); this would indicate a bad battery connection or ground that could be causing a PCM problem. If not, I would look at the PCM itself.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

• 1 month later...

Here is a link to a diagnostic article related to IPC trouble codes, including I034. The article is comprehensive (51 pages). Parhaps it will provide you with valuable information that will help you solve your I034 problem. The article states that if both Codes I034 and E047 are set, “IPC has lost communications with PCM. Accordingly, diagnose as per IPC Code I034.”

Archived