CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

General ac question

stefank

Hello all,

please allow one question regarding an ac compressor, which isn't Cadillac related.

We are planning a long trip (2,500 mls) within the next weeks. We can't take the Cadillac because we need more cargo space plus a tow bar, so we'll use my wifes Volvo V70.

The Volvo's got 130,000 mls on the clock, and the ac compressor is noisy. The noise hasn't changed for the last two years. The system blows ice cold, but you can hear a groaning sound everytime the compressor kicks in.

Similar to the N* Cadillacs, all auxillary pulleys are driven by one serpentine belt, which may be problematic in case of a compressor failure. The price of a new (aftermarket) compressor is about 300 Euros, which converts to 360 USD.

What's your experience, will the compressor most likeley fail soon? Should I replace it beforehand to avoid serious ac trouble by a disintegrating compressor filling my ac system with metal shavings?

Thanks for any insight, best regards

Stefan

Hello all,

please allow one question regarding an ac compressor, which isn't Cadillac related.

We are planning a long trip (2,500 mls) within the next weeks. We can't take the Cadillac because we need more cargo space plus a tow bar, so we'll use my wifes Volvo V70.

The Volvo's got 130,000 mls on the clock, and the ac compressor is noisy. The noise hasn't changed for the last two years. The system blows ice cold, but you can hear a groaning sound everytime the compressor kicks in.

Similar to the N* Cadillacs, all auxillary pulleys are driven by one serpentine belt, which may be problematic in case of a compressor failure. The price of a new (aftermarket) compressor is about 300 Euros, which converts to 360 USD.

What's your experience, will the compressor most likeley fail soon? Should I replace it beforehand to avoid serious ac trouble by a disintegrating compressor filling my ac system with metal shavings?

Thanks for any insight, best regards

Stefan

Stefan,

I would inject an ounce (30 mL) of the proper refrigerant oil into the low pressure port - that should quiet the compressor down. You need an oil injector that is capable of injecting the oil into the system while it is fully charged. Most A/C shops have the equipment.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

KHE,

thanks a lot for your reply. I'll try to find a shop to do it, but that may be difficult over here. Most shops are only interested in recharging = profit...

Not so much experience with ac anyway as the are popular for a few years only.

If no oil is injected, will it kill the compressor over time?

Thanks again

Stefan

KHE,

thanks a lot for your reply. I'll try to find a shop to do it, but that may be difficult over here. Most shops are only interested in recharging = profit...

Not so much experience with ac anyway as the are popular for a few years only.

If no oil is injected, will it kill the compressor over time?

Thanks again

Stefan

Yeah - many shops are what I call "Compressor Changers". They won't even change a $15 shaft seal but are happy to charge $600 for a whole compressor...

I would not let it go too long - over time, the compressor will be damaged. I had the same issue with my '93 Fleetwood a few years ago - the compressor was noisy so I injected an ounce of oil and it has been quiet ever since.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived