CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Dead rear door speaker

Hello, I have a dead rear door bose speaker in a 2002 sts, is it usually the speaker?

How do I check for current in the speaker wire?

Looks like a pain to get the speaker out, thanks Les....

The hard part is getting the door panel off. With a multimeter, check for AC voltage with the radio on. You should have a few tenths of a volt on the AC voltage scale at normal volume. If not, it is probably the wire.

While you have the meter on the speaker terminals, turn off the radio and check the resistance. You should see about 4 ohms. You should hear a faint click or scratching sound out of the speaker when you touch the speaker terminals with the meter when it is on the ohms scale.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I have a dead rear door bose speaker in a 2002 sts, is it usually the speaker?

How do I check for current in the speaker wire?

Looks like a pain to get the speaker out, thanks Les....

The hard part is getting the door panel off.

I am having trouble getting the panel off, does the handle come with it?

Thanks Les......

On the 1997 (the 2002 may well be different; the 1997 STS is on the K platform and the 2002 is on the A platform), the door speaker remove & remplace instructions are on page 10-6-42 and refer to the remove & replace instructions for the door panel. For the speakers:

Figure 73

Remove or disconnect

1. Trim panel. Refer to Door Trim Panel [below].
  2. Wire connector.
  3. Screws.
  4. Speaker.

Install or connect

1. Speaker.
  2. Screws.
  3. Wire connector.

The door trim panel remove & replace instructions are on page 10-6-6.

Fiugre 10

Remove or disconnect

1. Window and door lock switch plates. Refer to Switch Plates.
  2. One screw in door lock switch plate area.
  3. Insert flat-bladed tool between upper rear corner of carpet attached to door trim panel. Disengage fastener and fold back carpet.
  4. Screw under caret.
  5. Screw in center of carpet area.
  6. Trim panel by lifting up and out to disengage hooks on trim panel from holes in door.

Install or Connectc

1. Trim panel. Align hooks to holes in door and push in and down on trim panel.
  2. One screw and two screws.
  3. Fold carpet flush to trim panel an engage fastner.
  4. Switch plates.

Figure 10 shows the handle staying with the door.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

While you have the meter on the speaker terminals, turn off the radio and check the resistance. You should see about 4 ohms. You should hear a faint click or scratching sound out of the speaker when you touch the speaker terminals with the meter when it is on the ohms scale.

It appears to be the speaker, I have current but no resistance.

I ordered a rear door speaker, but dealer ordered the rear subwoofer. I thought the box looked big for a small speaker :(

It sounds like he ordered the wrong speaker. In the Bose systems, they use one speaker, an amplifier, and a baffle system for the door units to make the woofer work. The "base" systems have two speakers and no amplifier.

It sounds like he ordered the wrong speaker. In the Bose systems, they use one speaker, an amplifier, and a baffle system for the door units to make the woofer work. The "base" systems have two speakers and no amplifier.

This system has 8 speakers, 5 front 3 rear, can you explain the function of each?

Thanks Les......

I've got a 1997 Eldorado and the shop manual for the 1997 Eldorado and Seville. That's the E/K platform. In 1999 Cadillac switched to the A platform for the Seville. So, someone with a later factory manual or a Seville in your year range may correct me.

In 1997, the systems listed for Domestic Systems for E/K on page 9A-2 of the 1997 shop manual are:

Base, U1L/UW6, AM/FM Cassette - 6 Speakers

Option, Ut0/UQ4/U1S, Bose® - 4 speakers, AM/FM Cassette/CD Changer

Option, UP2/UQ4/U1s, Bose® - 4 speakers, up-level AM/FM Cassette/CD Changer/DSP

In the Bose system, the door speakers are the woofers, but they have the full-range construction of the Bose patented small speaker like the Acoustic Wave boom boxes and some of their living room systems. Look on their web site, http://www.bose.com/. The Seville has these speakers in the front doors, but the DeVille has them in both the front and rear doors. The other two speakers would be oval center-channel mid/high range (no real woofer) in the front and rear, or with DSP "driver's seat" and theater/live modes, left and right channel or phased and/or delayed sound special effects.

I'm not sure that, with 8 speakers, you have a Bose system. If you are looking at a door speaker assembly and it has two speakers and no attached audio amplifier, it isn't the Bose system; the total speaker count on the base system would be 8 speakers.

Archived