CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Transmission Problem

jorge

Hello,

My 1994 SLS has a transmission problem. When I am driving the car the transmission will fall out of gear from second or third back to first gear and stay there. If I pull over and turn the car off and then restart it, the car will shift normally for a little while and then do it all over again and fall back to first gear.

Can anyone tell me whats wrong with it?

Thanks,

Jorge

check the fluid(but you probably already did) souds like a bad solinoid, have you tried driving with it in 3rd gear not fourth? if so does it still do it?

Joe

You don't say how many miles you have on the car but selenoid failures are common. Pull up your codes and see if you have the dreaded P094 code. If that's what it is don't worry, the selenoid kit is available through any good parts store. I've read here members getting it for $50, the best I could do retail was $70. The archives have step by step instructions if you want to do the install yourself. The local Cadillac dealer wanted 4 hours labor @ $80 per hour to install. I shopped around and found a Cottman Transmission shop that would do it for 3 hours labor @ $60 per hour. One member said he found a Mom and Pop store that installed the kit for $70! Good luck.

Archived