CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Phenolic spacer (again)

kcd1184

Getting ready to fix the whistle coming from the lower, rear phenolic spacer, with all new gaskets. I was studying up with my Helms manual about all of the things that you need to disconnect and or remove. Seems a little overwhelming.

I dug out a discussion I had printed out from 10/20/04. In re-reading replys from BSchlossman and the man himself, bbobynski, I am now under the impression that a person need only remove the top four bolts and lift up the manifold (to a limited heighth) for access to the spacer(s) and gaskets.

Sure seems easier then the Helms method. Comments please.

Kent

Yes, just remove the 4 bolts and lift the intake up enough to get the spacers out. I used pieces of wood (2X2X0'-4) to hold the manifold up on both ends. Just make sure you do not drop any thing. I used a shop-vac to clean out the area under the manifold. It is a tight fit but it can be done. I did mine about 3 times until I was satisfied. Make sure you clean the plates good get all the holes open and grooves clean. While you are at it clean the throttle body also, you will really be suprised at the additional power a clean throttle body and phenolic plates will produce. Gas mileage should improve also. I got pretty good at removing the plates. I only take about 1 to 1 1/2 hours to do the job now. Good Luck.

Paul T pretty much summed the whole job up. Sorry I didn't get back to your e-mail Kent. Besides it's probably better to keep it on here so other's can benefit from your experience. It's really a 2 man job but 1 can do it easily. Just make sure the intake is secured properly. Don't want you losing any fingers. Make sure to plug the large hole at the bottom of the lower spacer with a rag to keep crud from falling down there while scraping. A simple flat head screw driver works well for scraping and follow it up with the shop vac like PaulT suggested.

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

Just lift up on the passinger side of the manifold enough to insert a short piece of 2x4. The spacers lift right out.

You will spend most of your time cleaning out the carbon from the spacers. Next, you will have to clean out the EGR passages in both of the heads. You will need to clean out the mouse holes "V" there are one per cylinder. I kept the vacuum going while I was scraping the heads. You don't want the carbon to fall into the valve area. You could use rags. I didn't, and small pieces of carbon interfered with the valves closing properly. It ran really bad, but then cleared after a minute and a few rev's.

The reason for doing mine 60K miles ago was because the engine would shudder under light acceleration. Cleaning fixed the problem. This needs to be done around every 100k miles.

The project is done. It took about 4.5 hours, but I also replaced the big spider-like vacuum harness and cleaned the throttle body. I might have unhooked a couple of things I didn't have to but it worked out.

I can't believe the crap that had built up. The Eldo (116,000) was running good though, just that darn whistle. It's gone now. It fired right up and ran great. I'll take a good evaluation run tomorrow. Thanks to all for your imput.

Kent

Archived