CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Removal of the throttle body intake screen...

Flyer

Hello all,

Today I just put a K&N Cone filter on my '97 SLS and it sure does sound different now! I haven't had time to evaluate any throttle response or power changes yet, allthough I have read a great deal on this site about the matter.

I saw the screen which I have heard about before, and was wondering how to remove the delicate looking thing.

I must point out, that it doesn't look like a "screen" as I've been led to believe by some of these posts, but it actually looks like a hexcell type of material, could this material be serving a purpose other than keeping large pieces from passing? Is this actually causing laminar or turbulent airflow into the intake runners? I wonder, because the material is not made from wire like a "screen" would be, it actually has a height component to it.

How is removal accomplished?

--Flyer

'99 'Vert 'Vette 45k

'97 SLS 55k

Deceased: <'68 Mustang 200+k>, <'86 GMC S-10 180+k>, <'86 VW GTI 180+k>, <'86 Seville 195+k>, <'93 Seville 175+k>

user posted image

I think it's best to remove the MAF sensor. Unplug the electrical connector, then remove the 3 mounting bolts (7 mm head if I recall correctly). BTW, there's a cautionary notice in the service manual about being careful not to damage the MAF screen, as this could could affect airflow and lead to a driveability concern.

Is this flow straightener made of metal? I think it is, but just wanted some confirmation. I realize that it may not be the most effective way to clean a throttle body, but before I leave for my next trip, I was planning on a "quick and dirty cleaning job. That is, I was planning to spray Gumout directly into the straigtener. Would this damage the MAF sensor or anything else in the throttle plate area? The throttle plates do not currently seem to be sticking, just thought it might be effective prevention.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Johnny,

I seem to recall it being made of aluminum. Not sure but seemed to be rather fragil so I was pretty gentle with it. I also seem to recall removing the MAF when I did mine, must have needed to or I am sure I'd have left it in place. Not sure if gumout will hurt it but I doubt it.

Removing the screen does NOT cause a driveability concern.  It doesn't cause the MAF sensor to have any problems.  I have removed the screen on 2 vehicles personally and know several other people who have done the same.  None of us have had any problems related to removing the screen.  I just see it as an intake restriction and will remove it from any vehicle I ever buy that has one.

If you ask me, GM should go back to the speed density system.  It is much better in the respect that mods are more effective.

The MAF sensor itself is not affected, however, the readings in relation to the actual airflow requirements of the engine will change. Even modifying the duct work leading up to the MAF sensor WILL affect the calibration! The fueling depends heavily on this input, and when the calibration is off, there's the risk of a momentary lean condition. Whether this manifests as a driveability concern would depend on the sensitivity of the driver, driving habits, the tools at hand, etc..

I am curious as to how you feel a speed density setup makes modifications more effective. The PCM estimates the mass of air entering the engine by looking at the engine RPM, manifold absolute pressure, and air temperature. If a modification results in the engine breathing more effectively, the PCM will still be commanding the same quantity of fuel; the result is a leaner air-fuel mixture. A MAF sensor based system is able to adapt to airflow changes, within reason, ensuring a correct mixture.

Why do you think so many people who modify their Corvettes remove the MAF sensor completely? Because it helps performance.

Performance and driveability are two different things. Before, you stated conclusively that removing the screen "will NOT" affect driveability, when in fact it will. It may allow for some extra performance, but at the expense of poorer fuel economy and possibly messed up idles. This happens quite often just with the installation of open element air filters, and probably depends greatly on the particular car and the driving environment you're in. Because you have two "buddies" that have done that, doesn't make a blanket statement true...that removing the screen "will NOT" affect driveability in any situation.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Kevin W, even Bbobynski has said in the past that the speed density system is more adaptable to modifications than the newer MAF systems.  Yes, the MAF sensor will see an increase in airflow....to a certain point.

Why do you think so many people who modify their Corvettes remove the MAF sensor completely?  Because it helps performance.

There are many aspects of performance to consider. Do you feel the ~1% improvement in peak power is worth the loss of operating refinement in other ranges? I believe the example quoted was for a marine application, which would see a lot of WOT, a relatively stead-state condition. Only heavily modified Corvettes would benefit significantly from removal of the MAF sensor; those drivers are more interested in WOT than street performance.

Archived