CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Does anyone know?

PAUL T

I have a 94 Concours and I am trying to find the detailed instructions in my Factory Service Manual for the cleaning of the intake manifold and phenolic plates. The index says it is in section 6E but I can not find it there. I just need to know if there is a gasket I need to buy or do I just need some RTV to seal between the manifold and the heads on the plates? I have all the other instructions from researching the archives. Anybody have any other things to be careful of or what to lookout for? What brushes work better to scrap away the carbon? What solution if any do I need to use?

The gaskets are reuseable. Just be careful not to tear any of them. A medium flat head screwdriver works well to scrape the carbon. Just follow with a vacuum as you scrape.

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

There is a lot of information on this subject. Search for shudder, stumble or phenolic spacers. Remove the 4 bolts. Use small pieces of wood (2x4) to hold the lifted manifold in place. Lift the mainfold from the passinger side of the engine. Just lift the manifold far enough to gain access to the spacers. They lift out easily. Put rags in the intake ports to prevent the scraped carbon from going into the valve area. Use a vacuum as you scrape the heads. After scraping and vacuuming carefully align the 4 bolts for re-assembly. Don't forget to scrape out the little V shape mouse holes on the heads. When the engine is restarted it may run craply for a few seconds. This is caused by any scraped carbon that fell into the value area. Rev is engine a couple of times and it will be blown out. It's a fairly easy job and you will spend most of your time scraping. It took me about 3 hours total and the results were excellant. This needs to be done on the 93/94 4.6L engines about every 100,000 miles.

Thanks guys, I think I will tackle it this weekend. I hope that stops the stumble on steady acceleration and when it pulls a hill. I am looking forward to what the results will be such as improved fuel economy and power. I am getting 20 to 21 average anyway and I thought that was good, but if I can get a couple more MPG I will be very happy since gas is outrages. :P:D:lol:

Well I pulled the intake manifold and scrapped the phenolic plates clean and the cylinder distribution passages. The holes on the drivers side in the cylinder heads were completely carboned up. After I put everything back together I took it for a spin for about 3 miles and NO CHANGE IN THE STUMBLING. The only thing I did not do was stick a wire into the holes in the heads that lead to the EGR passages. Still no codes being thrown.

The only other thing I noticed was the vapor line to throttle body rubber end at the TB was split a little. That line goes to the EVAP Solenoid. Would that cause the problem? I suppose tomorrow I will pull the intake again and wire out the holes to the EGR passages since they were totally clogged up on top. Any thing else to look for?

Well I cleand the EGR passages on the heads and the plates put everything back together and put some RTV on the split connection on the EVAP line and it seems to be a little better but the miss is still there. I did the injector test and they all did the samething when tested so I could not single out which cylinder it is. Anybody else have any suggestions?

Ok, not usually my thing but have you checked your plugs? And what kind are installed? I'm starting to get a slight stumble myself. About 5-6,000 miles back I installed new plugs and the slight stumble went away. Now it's back. Today I pulled one of the plugs and noticed that it was a Bosch super. Could have sworn that I had Delco platinums in but then remembered that I put Delcos in my fiance's car. Soooooo I ran over to Peps and bought 8 Delco platinums for next week.

Who knows, something to consider. Seems the northstars only like the Delco platinums according to the board majority.

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

I have replaced spark plugs(OEM), plug wires(OEM), fuel filter(OEM), and air filter. I even pulled the EGR valve and all was working, no binding. I am really stumped. I guess I need to check the fuel pressure and maybe the regulator. Any other suggestions?

Have you checked for clogged injectors? I added a bottle of (shhh don't tell anyone) lucas injector cleaner/conditioner yesterday and drove around. Seems to be doing better. I put a bottle in about a month ago and the caddy ran better. Hopefully the second will do the "trick". We'll see.

"Burns" rubber

Archived