CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

blown head gasket

mcran

hello guys,

my uncle found something on the web that is "suppose" to repair blown head gasket with out pulling the engine has anyone heard of something similar i forgot the name of the solution but i think it is called turbo gasket

thanks in advance

Sounds like you are talking about Thermogasket, aka "Repair in a Bottle", "Mechanic in a Bottle" or "Hope in a Bottle". It's all snake oil. There is only one way to repair a blown head gasket, and it does not come in a bottle. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

This has been well discussed on this forum. Try a search for plenty of reading.

In summary, here is why it will not work on the Northstar engine. Those gasket sealer products are designed for cars where the problem is a failed head gasket. While people typically refer to the Northstar issue as such, technically, the problem is failed head-bolt threads in the block, resulting in the cylinder head lifting, and coolant getting into the combustion chambers through the gasket. Without proper torque on the heads from the failed bolt threads, the gasket can not do it's job, and there is no sealant in the world that will fix this problem. The issue is that the aluminum in the block fatigues after many miles and years, and the female threads in the block literally pull out with the head-bolt, giving the head-bolts nothing to grab onto. Without your cylinder heads held on tightly, you are GOING to get leaks. The quick fix gasket sealers just won't work in this scenario.

See pic below for an example of a head bolt coming out of the block, taking the aluminum block threads with it:

headbolt.jpg

That pic is from my motor. In order to fix the problem, you HAVE to pull the heads, drill out the aluminum block, and insert steel inserts that are internally and externally threaded (timeserts).

-Jacob

jcobz28 is right. I had the same thing happen in my '97 Eldorado. All of the head bolts pulled out of the rear head forcing me to TimeSert the block.

IF you confirm this is your problem and IF you decide to make the repair yourself I'll sell you the tool kit I used for my job.

Helicoils don't work for this repair - don't even think about it.

The only thing I have to add is a link to the people who make insert kits for most of the manufacturers (GM, Ford, Honda, etc.):

http://www.timesert.com/

The kit for a particular engine and application includes the brass inserts, templates and positioning tools, guides, taps, etc. Since you only will use the kit once and just need the inserts, you might try to buy the kit used from somebody who has done this job and doesn't need the kit, either here or on eBay, then resell the kit when you are done.

I would also add that most people who have had this happen have let the coolant go over 5 years without changing it, and there is some sign of corrosion in the head bolt wells.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived